March 5th 2016 - NFGFC Tourney ROLL CALL

This is where you can Promote, Talk about or Plan Tournaments.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redfin
Site Sponsor

Re: March 5th 2016 - NFGFC Tourney ROLL CALL

Post by Redfin »

Something shady is going on. The club officer in question needs to me relieved of his duty now.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Nothing shady going on. One late entrant got two different answers from two different club officers. Bottom line is we accepted their money, they fished and they weighed fish. So we need move forward from here and figure out a way to keep this from repeating. I don't know what is involved in making adjustments to the electronic payment system, but perhaps we could cut it off at the deadline so no late payments can be sent in.

I am happy to meet with the rest of the club officers anytime, just let me know where and when.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

:smt004
Last edited by Gulf Coast on March 7th, 2016, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

What is the big deal about accepting money after the cut off anyway? Would you prep differently? Go to another spot? No. More boats = more money all the way down the list. I would vote yes for allowing teams to enter day of. Some just don't really know what their work schedule might be or if their boat can handle the weather.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
Squirm88

Post by Squirm88 »

Just an observer from the gallery who has fished 1 or 2 club tournaments and has signed up day of in the past. Sounds like the club allowed an exception at the first tournament and nobody complained, probably because the entrant didn't finish in the money. Funny how it only becomes an issue when someone does well.

Clearly entering the day before the tournament doesn't give a team an advantage fishing. Seems petty to use that as an argument considering the small payouts involved. Thought the idea of these tournaments was to have was to encourage turnout and to help us learn new areas to fish.

As someone who is new to the area and interested in fishing these tournaments, it sure is a turn-off to see some of these arguments. Who cares when you sign up as long as it's before the tournament has begun? You would think online payment would facilitate late entries. It sure would help people like me who have work schedules and family commitments to balance with fishing. Sometimes clearing up the schedule to fish does not happen until 24 hours before tournament day. Just my 2 cents.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

looks like some nice fish weighed. Sorry I couldn't make it. Was thinking about ya'll from Atlantis
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

:smt004
Last edited by Gulf Coast on March 7th, 2016, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bull68dawg

Post by bull68dawg »

:pop_1
"How do you like them apples"

UGA Grad 04 GO DAWGS!
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

I am going to have to agree with Squirm88. I am sure the payment rule was created just so the officer could focus on fishing rather than collecting payments early in the morning.

I joined a tournament last year thinking it would be fun. I expected to meet some new fisherman to gain and/or give knowledge from the area. That did not happen. Everyone seemed to just weigh their fish, get paid and leave. Other than a few people, no one was friendly or even greeted the new team who just contributed to their winnings. I don't know how this group could ever grow with that kind of attitude.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

cream.jpg
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Redfin wrote:
cream.jpg
Ha... that is funny !!! Off point but funny !!! I don't even know what to say to that ?
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

MIAcanes44 wrote:I am going to have to agree with Squirm88. I am sure the payment rule was created just so the officer could focus on fishing rather than collecting payments early in the morning.

I joined a tournament last year thinking it would be fun. I expected to meet some new fisherman to gain and/or give knowledge from the area. That did not happen. Everyone seemed to just weigh their fish, get paid and leave. Other than a few people, no one was friendly or even greeted the new team who just contributed to their winnings. I don't know how this group could ever grow with that kind of attitude.
Hey, thanks for this comment. From the inside looking out, we sometimes don't see things like this. Maybe we go back to doing something after like food or drinks like we used to do. The reason we stopped it was to have better prizes throughout the year and at end of year banquet. Just thought I would explain our thoughts behind it, but you are right, its like a hit it and quit it type of night... lol

p.s. GO CANES!!
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

Gulf Coast wrote:This is what MUST happen !!!Everyone knows that Casey and Pat are only going to fish a few spring tournaments so points are a big deal. The points need to reflect the teams that payed on time under the rules set forth by the officers of the club !! The money won MUST be payed to the teams that payed "ON TIME" !!! A mistake has happened, NFGFC owes these 2nd thru 4th place teams 1st thru 3rd place money and points, PERIOD !!! Anything less will be a black eye on the club for sometime. Nothing against Casey and Pat, nice stringer

the points are not effected at all. If we take away their points and move everyone up one notch, then everyone still ends up with the same point differential.

ex. 2nd place 99pts adjusted 100
5th place 96 points adjusted 97 points.
Still 3 points regardless.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

it seems like the tournament directors are trying to take on too many unnecessary responsibilities.. is there a reason for "early signup/entry fee"? I believe a lot of headaches could be saved if everyone just paid that morning of and by whom pays first would determine their boat number. I'm sure everyone gets there a decent time to stage their boat and get ready, during that time one of the boaters can go and pay and get their boat number. Of course it's your tournament and you can run it however. it's hard to please everyone and no matter what rule you choose, it's going to piss of the other. but if your system isn't broken then don't fix it. I would imagine trying to find a solution that is going to make everyone happy will be hard

show up on time
pay your money/dues
get your boat number
go fish
be on time for weigh-in
best bag wins
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

From our limited experience, the online registration works great. If there is a deadline, it was never an issue for us. That just needs to be clear - seems like if you got a confirmation before tournament day, that should be good, and we always have, even if it was a personal e-mail from the President (not Obama!).

We can't ever make the meeting, so online works great, even for the inevitable almost last minute decisions.

The group is friendly enough, it just might take more than 1 time to feel all warm and fuzzy. We gradually worked our way around, and now feel very welcome.

One thing I'd like to see is to make the club dues good for 12 months, not recycle at the end of December, but I get that, and respect whatever decision, it just might make more folks inclined to join who can only get involved later in Summer.

We really look forward to the ones we can make, and hate to see all this controversy. Make rules that make sense, post them, and stick with them, and to encourage more participation, there's exceptions to every rule, as long as the Board is in agreement (majority). Pretty sure that was the intent in this case.

Would not be a fan of tournament day (only) registration.

Glad to see the Forum back - thought ya'll blew it up!