St. Mark 25 March 16

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spothogg
Site Sponsor

St. Mark 25 March 16

Post by spothogg »

Friday was a work holiday for me (Good Friday). Fished St. Marks with a friend from work. Weather forecast was iffy and night before declared I'd make a weather decision at 07:00 Friday. Woke up to rain, but optimistically interpreted the weather radar and called it a GO. We arrived at the old fort at 10:00 to thunder overhead. By the time we readied the boat for launch, the thunder was distant and decided to go for it. Light rain showers off and on and it was a pleasant day. Saw the usual inshore fish: plenty of reds, trout, black drum, Spanish macks, and the biggest sail top cat I've ever caught. One keeper trout out of the mix. The one spanish was legal too, but barely, so set him free to bite me another day (he got me while I was removing the hook!). Did pretty well on artificials, which made it a good day for me. Been working to break out of the shrimp rut. "A bad day fishing beats a good day at work," and it was a pretty good day of fishing :thumbup:
Ttt

Re: St. Mark 25 March 16

Post by Ttt »

Good job and thanks for the report.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Attaboy, Spot.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

I went too on the 25th, late in the day, the wind dropped to maybe 5mph, it was overcast, and the trout bite east of the Lighthouse was INSANE. By the time I got done fooling around with my stone crab traps I decided to throw a Gulp jig/popper and BAM BAM BAM one after the other I got 5 big keeper trout in 15 minutes! Best trout day for me, ever. Stayed so late it was dark when I got back to the fort.