need stainless tools

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ertauber

need stainless tools

Post by ertauber »

looking for tools to put on my boat. the tools from sears, etc. they rust very quickly and adjustable wrench doesn't move. anyone know where I can get non rusting tools?
leonreno

Re: need stainless tools

Post by leonreno »

Might be hard to find SS tools such as wrenches and screw driver. SS normally is not as strong as carbon steel and not normally used in high stress tools. But maybe there are some. I put mine in a ziplock bag or plastic case that seals and spray some corrosion spray inside like wd40.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I spray mine then put them in a couple of vacuum sealed bags inside of my ammo can style tool box inside my console since I only plan on using them for emergencies. They have held up well for the last couple of years and not too big of a pain to get to if needed.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
ertauber

Post by ertauber »

Thanks guys for the tip. Guess it will be wd40 to the rescue.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

If you need new ones tekton tools are 15% off at Amazon right now, it's what I keep in my boat and they have held up well. I prefer us made craftsman tools but tekton stands behind them. I wouldn't use wd40 though, I'd spray them with either dry lube or corrosion x.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE A SET OF BRASS HEAVY-DUTY SOCKETS, AND CRESCENT WRENCH THAT IS HEAVY BRASS, PAIR OF BRASS PLYERS. BOUGHT THESE THINGS BACK IN 1948 RIGHT AFTER WW2, GOT THEM ON A NAVY SURPLUS SALE FOR $1.50 FOR THE BUNCH. I KEEP THEM SPRAYED WITH W-D 40 IN A CLOSED CHEST, NEVER HAVE FAILED ME. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE YOU MIGHT FIND SOME OF THESE BUT IT YOU CAN GET THEM, THEY WORK GREAT EVEN AFTER 65 YEARS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

If you can't fix it with a Swiss Army knife, Leatherman tool, roll of electrician's tape and some zip ties, you'd better call Sea Tow.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

silverking wrote:If you can't fix it with a Swiss Army knife, Leatherman tool, roll of electrician's tape and some zip ties, you'd better call Sea Tow.
Serious overkill! Duct Tape and WD 40 is all you need! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Danibeth

Post by Danibeth »

I second, third and fourth corrosion x. Outstanding stuff.

I have a pair of wire cutters crom knipex that i can use with my weak hand to cut the heaviest hooks I can....no doubt would rust easily but I sprayed them with corrosion x, wrapped in those blue shop towels and then sealed in a vacuum seal bag to keep with me if I ever need it. I'd do the same with other tools if I needed some...have a decent set of tools with you, sealed up and you'll be fine if you ever need them...just remember to rub them down when you get home and reseal. Vacuum seal bags are cheaper than having to replace tools all the time IMO