Redfish bag limit change May 1st

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Redfish bag limit change May 1st

Post by Salty Gator »

Chalk wrote:Look at a map - there is no correlation between the Apalachicola river system and St Andrews bay system. Water wars have no bearing - half the Apalachicola oyster fleet has been in Bay county for the past two years.

Different ecosystem - less habitat, more population, increased fishing pressure from raised bag limits, offshore regulations (increased fishing inshore) - more take means less fish and the further you go west until you hit Mobile bay the more impact the bag limit has impacted due to the increased bag limits and a ecosystem that is different than the water from the Apalachicola river to Tampa bay.

Cause and effect - as I recall the snapper limits/season was changed when the redfish limit was upped - it was a "cause and effect" or "gift" to help appease public opinion. Now that the snapper season has been given some relief - nobody bitch'n about that - they right the ship on redfish and low and behold - the "man" is taking things away from me :smt076

Regulations are in place to help everyone to include the fish and animals.

If you are over 30 and grew up fishing the Aucilla River in the 70s and 80s when you could walk from boat to boat and everyone caught fish - alotta of fish. That same age group can also remember going to Aucilla and not catching a dam thing for many years in the rivers - why cause they were all caught and made a turd.

What is my point - like you bank account - you keep taking out and not doing something to put some back in and sooner or later - you are not going to have anything.

Coming from someone who has seen it good, seen it go to bad and seen it get better through controls and measures.

P.S. - Welcome to the board - 11 post and 10 are on this topic - we have a term for that :smt006
Well said chalk. And your right we do have a term for that :thumbdown:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Chalk wrote:...there is no correlation between the Apalachicola river system and St Andrews bay system...
Evidently, St. Andrews Bay has had it's own problems which may be attributing to a decline in the red drum population there:

National Fish & Wildlife Foundation Gulf Environmental Benefit Fund
Announcement date: November 2014
Recipient: Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Amount: $1,973,500
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
FLORIDA
Oyster Reef Habitat Restoration in Saint Andrew Bay

The St. Andrew Bay estuary is unique both for its significant biological diversity and clear,
high-salinity waters in which submerged aquatic vegetation (SAV) flourishes. West Bay,
the northwest arm of the estuary, has experienced a variety of detrimental impacts over
many decades
resulting in significant loss of seagrass throughout this part of the system.

Improving water quality and clarity will allow for restoration and expansion of SAV, which
provide important nursery habitat benefits to a variety of commercially and recreationally
important fish and shellfish species; including, grey snapper, spotted sea trout, mullet,
grouper, red drum, flounder, shrimp, blue crab and scallops.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Gulf Environmental Benefit Fund, administered by the National Fish and Wildlife
Foundation (NFWF), supports projects to remedy harm and eliminate or reduce the risk of
harm to Gulf Coast natural resources affected by the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
To learn more about NFWF, go to http://www.nfwf.org.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

leonreno wrote:Possibly some of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard for general fishing licenses and fisheries management...Second, as a Georgia resident, if fishing fees are dramatically increased, the $1000's I spend yearly visiting Florida will be spent elsewhere...
For Florida, a Georgia resident would pay $46.50 for a 10 day license or $151.50 for an annual license to hunt white-tailed deer in Florida. In Florida, residents and non-residents also must pay an additional $5 for a deer permit.

For Georgia, a Floridian would pay $90 for a 3 day big game license or $195 for an annual big game license to hunt white-tailed deer in Georgia. In Georgia, residents and non-residents also must pay $10 for a regular annual hunting license to hunt white-tailed deer.

If Georgia can charge Floridians more than Georgia charges its residents to hunt white-tailed deer in Georgia, why can't Florida charge Georgia residents more than Florida charges Floridians to fish in Florida's saltwater?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

2Salty wrote:
leonreno wrote:Possibly some of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard for general fishing licenses and fisheries management...Second, as a Georgia resident, if fishing fees are dramatically increased, the $1000's I spend yearly visiting Florida will be spent elsewhere...
For Florida, a Georgia resident would pay $46.50 for a 10 day license or $151.50 for an annual license to hunt white-tailed deer in Florida. In Florida, residents and non-residents also must pay an additional $5 for a deer permit.

For Georgia, a Floridian would pay $90 for a 3 day big game license or $195 for an annual big game license to hunt white-tailed deer in Georgia. In Georgia, residents and non-residents also must pay $10 for a regular annual hunting license to hunt white-tailed deer.

If Georgia can charge Floridians more than Georgia charges its residents to hunt white-tailed deer in Georgia, why can't Florida charge Georgia residents more than Florida charges Floridians to fish in Florida's saltwater?
Economy of scale. I would bet that saltwater licensing of Georgia fishermen in Florida total dollar amount far exceeds that of Florida deer hunters in Georgia. Now, go cut and paste and tell me why I am wrong. The only thing I think Florida grossly undervalues is the Osceola turkey. I think there should be a trophy fee for ALL out of staters for Osceola subspecies of turkey. Not crazy high, just in proportion to what we pay for Pronghorn, Elk, Brown Bear, etc in other states.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Also, to all you Georgians that travel down Highway 65 in Gadsden and Liberty county, I wish the FHP would make more stops on Friday evening heading south and Sunday evening heading north. Most are just folks heading to the beach or home, but I get passed by KERRRAAAZZZZZYYYYY speeding beach going drivers all spring and summer. Never towing boats though, all beachy types. ;-) :lick: :smt005
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Southern Hooker

Post by Southern Hooker »

You are clearly too salty. You should just change your name to Reel Salty.
Team Bluewater Predator http://www.facebook.com/BWPFT
Accurate Fishing - Connley Fishing - SMITH Optics - NU-ICE - ATL Fuel Bladders - Canyon Products - Eagle Claw - Engel Coolers - Wet Sounds - KeepAlive - Surf Monkey Gear
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

According to U.S. Fish & Wildlife's 2015 National Fishing License Report in Florida 553,853 fishing (fresh and saltwater) tags, permits and stamps, or about 26% of the total were purchased by non-residents (total 2,140,120 sold).

Also,...

Every five years the Census Bureau conducts the National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation.? This survey is the gold standard for comparing outdoor recreational activities between the states. Once again, it proves that Florida is the top fishing destination, according to the 2006 results.

The facts tell where anglers go for the best fishing opportunities. Florida provided 46.3 million days of recreational fishing in 2006 versus 41.1 million days in Texas, the second highest state. Of fishing days spent in Florida, 4.8 million days were by tourists (nonresidents), while Wisconsin, the second highest state for tourist days, provided 3.8 million days. In terms of nonresident anglers, Florida is also number one with 885,000, versus No. 2 North Carolina with less than half that at 395,000.

http://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/fishi ... orida.html

885,000 non-resident anglers fishing in Florida? That's a helluva lot of fishing "pressure". How many Red Drum are harvested from Florida's waters by these non-residents?
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

onefishtwofish wrote:Also, to all you Georgians that travel down Highway 65 in Gadsden and Liberty county, I wish the FHP would make more stops on Friday evening heading south and Sunday evening heading north. Most are just folks heading to the beach or home, but I get passed by KERRRAAAZZZZZYYYYY speeding beach going drivers all spring and summer. Never towing boats though, all beachy types. ;-) :lick: :smt005
I have often wondered why you don't see the FHP on that road more. The long straight road just invites you to drive too fast.
I'm mostly pulling my boat or my kayaks, so I'm not one of the speeders.

Oh, and I would gladly pay an increased fee to continue to have the privilege of fishing the forgotten coast. :-)
JeffB
Site Sponsor

Post by JeffB »

2Salty wrote:According to U.S. Fish & Wildlife's 2015 National Fishing License Report in Florida 553,853 fishing (fresh and saltwater) tags, permits and stamps, or about 26% of the total were purchased by non-residents (total 2,140,120 sold).

Also,...

Every five years the Census Bureau conducts the National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation.? This survey is the gold standard for comparing outdoor recreational activities between the states. Once again, it proves that Florida is the top fishing destination, according to the 2006 results.

The facts tell where anglers go for the best fishing opportunities. Florida provided 46.3 million days of recreational fishing in 2006 versus 41.1 million days in Texas, the second highest state. Of fishing days spent in Florida, 4.8 million days were by tourists (nonresidents), while Wisconsin, the second highest state for tourist days, provided 3.8 million days. In terms of nonresident anglers, Florida is also number one with 885,000, versus No. 2 North Carolina with less than half that at 395,000.

http://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/fishi ... orida.html

885,000 non-resident anglers fishing in Florida? That's a helluva lot of fishing "pressure". How many Red Drum are harvested from Florida's waters by these non-residents?
You left out the part about anglers spending 4.4 billion dollars annually. I suspect that the non-residents spent their fair share of that.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

553,853 fishing (fresh and saltwater) Florida tags, permits and stamps sold to non-residents x $10 increase = +$5.5 million additional revenues annually

885,000 non-resident anglers in Florida x $10 increase = +$8.8 million additional revenues annually

$5.5 million to $8.8 million additional revenues annually, earmarked to be used by FWC for better and more frequent stock assessments and fisheries' monitoring could go a long toward taking the "anecdotal testimony" out of establishing or changing limits.

And while we're at it, also eliminate charter licenses (good for 12 months) that cover charter customers (resident and non-resident) to fish in saltwater without a license. Require every individual (exempting under 16 yrs. old, over 65 yrs. old, veterans, etc.) fishing in Florida's waters to buy a fishing license. More additional revenue.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

they made the change for the good stop being so salty with post after post of the same thing on the thread. chalk made a very valid point and is very knowledgeable on the subject just like silver king is.I've seen the upper slot red numbers go way down and big trout numbers also go way down the last few years changes need to be made as such .we may not all agree but we gotta follow em.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

If there is IN FACT a reduced red drum population from Panama City in Bay County to Apalachicola in Franklin County, then FWC should:

1. reduce the limit on reds in Bay and Franklin Counties OR
2. impose a "catch and release only" on reds in Bay and Franklin Counties.

FWC initiated its online survey of anglers about reds Mid-March. The survey was intended to be available and open to anglers through mid-May. On April 13-14 FWC Commission reviewed survey input only through April 1st.

FWC has acknowledged the following:

1. Its decision to reduce the limit of reds in the NW Zone was based on very preliminary survey results of anecdotal feedback only - no science.
2. Anecdotal feedback reviewed as of April 1st indicated a perceived reduction of the red drum population in the Panama City/Apalachicola area. Anecdotal feedback from other areas of the NW Zone indicated a strong abundance of, as well as a range of sizes of red drum.

Furthermore:

- There are no case histories and no science to support, in Florida or elsewhere, that reducing the limit on reds in areas of healthy abundance 100 miles (or more) away from a deficient area will help alleviate such deficiency.
- There is clear scientific evidence that Apalachicola Bay, and to a lesser degree St. Andrews Bay, have in the past and are now experiencing declines in the general health of their ecosystems, which may be attributing to a decline of the red drum population in those areas. The red drum populations in those areas can't and won't be expected to rebound until declination of those ecosystems is mitigated.

There is NO scientific justification, rationale or validity to reduce the limit of reds in Taylor, Dixie, Levy, Citrus, Hernando and Pasco Counties because of a perceived decline of the red drum population in Bay and Franklin Counties. Reduction of the limit of reds in Taylor, Dixie, Levy, Citrus, Hernando and Pasco Counties will NOT resolve the perceived reduction of the red drum population of Bay and Franklin Counties.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

It is time :thumbup: :thumbup:
imagesV65N7PLW.jpg
imagesV65N7PLW.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 4021 times