St marks???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Toonfisher

St marks???

Post by Toonfisher »

Hi. Brief introduction: I am an avid Fisher in the big bend area. Mostly the flats. And love scalloping. I normally scallop around Keaton/steinhatchee areas. This year I think I will try st Mark's. What can anyone input on this? Any info is welcomed. Thanks
TomParis
Site Sponsor

Re: St marks???

Post by TomParis »

People usually start scalloping around grey mare rock continuing south from there.
1976 Seacraft 20' MA
bbb

Post by bbb »

Look for the 200 boats.......seriously.
Toonfisher

Post by Toonfisher »

So where is this grey mare rock?? Never been to the st Mark's area. And being new to the area is there any big chance of running aground or hitting rocks ?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YOU CAN LAUNCH AT THE ST. MARKS LIGHTHOUSE, GO OUT THE CANAL AND STRAIGHT TO THE RIVER CHANNEL , TAKE A LEFT IN THE CHANNEL OUT ALMOST TO THE BIRDS ROOST, THEN TAKE A 1/2 LEFT AND FOLLOW THE WILDLIFE MARKERS AND BY THEN YOU WILL SEE THE BOATS. HAS BEEN GOOD FISHING IN THAT AREA FOR THE LAST 10-15 YRS. BUT NOT SO GOOD THE LAST 2 YEARS. LOT MORE BOATS FISHIN THIS AREA THE LAST 2 YRS. THERE IS A BAR THAT RUNS FROM THE BIRDS ROOST EAST FOR A BOUT 2 MILES THAT IS VERY SHALLOW ON LOW TIDE, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE IT WHEN IT GETS CLOSE TO LOW TIDE'
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

The area around Grey Mare is called the rock garden for a reason. There are a lot of rocks and they move. You are safe running the stake line, but once you turn towards shore I idle when the water depth is less than 5 feet. Plus, with all of the scallopers in the water you want to be going slow anyway.
Toonfisher

Post by Toonfisher »

I have recently heard of great scalloping in St marks. And it's closer to me than Keaton. Besides the ramp at Keaton is horribly crowded. I just don't want to tear the foot off of my motor. Lol. As I scallop from a pontoon boat. But I think it's worth a try at st Mark's. Anybody been out that way recently to tell water clarity? Or actually seen any scallops?
Toonfisher

Post by Toonfisher »

I have recently heard of great scalloping in St marks. And it's closer to me than Keaton. Besides the ramp at Keaton is horribly crowded. I just don't want to tear the foot off of my motor. Lol. As I scallop from a pontoon boat. But I think it's worth a try at st Mark's. Anybody been out that way recently to tell water clarity? Or actually seen any scallops?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Toonfisher wrote:I have recently heard of great scalloping in St marks. And it's closer to me than Keaton. Besides the ramp at Keaton is horribly crowded. I just don't want to tear the foot off of my motor. Lol. As I scallop from a pontoon boat. But I think it's worth a try at st Mark's. Anybody been out that way recently to tell water clarity? Or actually seen any scallops?
Don't expect the ramps at st marks to be less crowded during scallop season, they are a mess. It's closer for most people. I'd stop fishing during scallop season if y'all got out early. Go around ( south) the rock garden to get to the flotilla, don't run through it. Get your insurance and sea tow paid up. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Just go slow and have someone up front to spot them and you may be fine (no guarantees, expressed or implied). :-D

If there is not a bunch of boats in an obvious location, the odds are decent there are no scallops anyways. Only way to know though is to get out and look. We went one year and thought we were gonna be wasting our time because there were very few boats around (different location), but had driven there so we jumped in. Had as many as we wanted to clean in no time. By the time we left, there was a flotilla around our area as other folks found them too.

It ain't rocket surgery. Go slow around the rocks, if you don't find them quick, move. Most of all, just have fun!
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Toonfisher

Post by Toonfisher »

Oh I'm not new to scalloping. Just never been to st Mark's. I think I will just find a boat and follow it out. Maybe they know where the rocks are. Lol. But seriously now I'm a little worried about rocks. Just from hearing y'all talk makes me think they are everywhere. But as long as I go around the rock garden maybe I will be ok.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My experience scalloping at St Marks has been the scallops are where the rocks are. No biggie really. Just go slow from the stake line in. I
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Toonfisher

Post by Toonfisher »

onefishtwofish wrote:My experience scalloping at St Marks has been the scallops are where the rocks are. No biggie really. Just go slow from the stake line in. I
Ok. Thanks. You mention the "stake line". Is this a row of stakes in the water??
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Go to the top of this Forum & chose "Area Charts"
Go to "Complete Marine Charts through Navionics Marine"
Zoom into the mouth of the St Marks River.
You will see the river channel. Follow the channel out to the Birdrack that marks the longer narrower sand bar to the east (in green on the chart)
Head east just before the birdrack but miss the sandbar.
At the east end of the sandbar there is a telephone pole & that is what people refer to as a "stake"
This is where you need to stay on the outside (south) of the stake. You'll be in 6-10' of water & out of the rocks.
Continuing east you will see other markers that are white cylindrical bouys. Stay outside of these as they are intermediate markers between the Stakes.
Also on the map you will see Grey Mare. Stay outside of the stake line until you get lined up straight with your target & turn left & run in til you hit 5' of water.
Come off plane, trim up the motor & ease in at a speed that you wouldnt mind hitting a rock at. Posting a lookout is a good idea til you get some experience in this area.
They call it the Rock Garden for a good reason.
2true

Post by 2true »

bbb wrote:Look for the 200 boats.......seriously.

^^^This^^^