Circling in the boat basin

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Circling in the boat basin

Post by zload »

Yesterday was my 33rd wedding anniversary... wife told me a week or so ago that she wanted to go fishing for our anniversary (yep got a good woman 33 years ago :-D )

Tides early, moon wrong, gonna be hot, opening day of scallop season all good reasons not to go... but momma wants to go so we're going. Spent the week before installing new TM batteries, cleaned up some wiring, polished the hull etc.

Hit the ramp at 6:15 scallopers still in bed, a few fellow fishermen unloading, head out with a light breeze and pretty nice temps, no ramp follies other than the guy parked in the middle of the double ramp lane trying to get his engine started.

Went in close to try for a red but water slack, no life, no rays, no turtles, no sharks. Moved out with the tide but not much activity at all. Fished with pinfish dragging on a cork but no takers. Headed out to a deeper spot, caught one lizard fish. No takers on gulp on the bottom or swimming jerk baits. Nothing with the pinfish on the cork fished on the drop from a bar to the hole.

Headed in for a cold ice tea and shrimp sandwich at Roy's. Wife backs the trailer in like a pro with a lot of dudes watching her (like I said I got a good one) I ease the boat over to line up with the trailer, and suddenly I got nothing but reverse about 20' from the trailer. I make a full circle with boats everywhere trying to get it to shift into neutral before I shut it down, binnacle acts like cable is broken. Guy on a boat nearby watching me yells that he'll help my wife get the trailer backed in once he loads, I yell back trailer is in the water but I got no forward gear, apparently he missed the full circle or thought I was wasting time waiting on the wife. Nice to offer his help, just wrong problem.

The pressure is on now, jumped up on the bow, dropped the TM in the water, run back to console and dig TM remote out of console storage box, trolled in until I could grab a guide pole without hitting the TM on the trailer, pull TM, climb over bow while trying not to fall off trailer and loaded with the winch after explaining to my wife for 20 minutes why she really needed to let go of the winch handle as I rapidly pulled the strap out (probably 20 seconds but felt longer). Normally my boat is a pain to power load much less winch up but somehow it climbed right up to the bow stop with very little effort. I would like to say that we pulled it off without anyone even noticing or like a NASCAR pit crew but there is probably a YouTube video that makes me look like a Keystone Cop in slo mo but we got it done and nobody got hurt and nothing damaged :thumbup:

Roy's was almost empty at lunch time, noticed they had a buffalo shrimp appetizer so asked for a shrimp sandwich buffalo style, waitress basically said they didn't have that but she could bring me some buffalo sauce on the side :-? Which she did, I didn't even try to explain it to her after I confused her by asking for a half and half tea and a water. Finally explained I wanted a glass of ice water and a glass of tea and she got it.

Shrimp sandwich with buffalo sauce poured over it was tasty, headed home with a happy wife, full belly and no fish.

Nice day on the water, good lunch and the dang OB shifted in and out of gear fine at home so we'll see what that was all about. I'm callng it a win.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Circling in the boat basin

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Sometimes, you have days like that, but a dinner (or lunch) at Roy's makes it all better! :lick:

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Been there done that. Motor quit 1/2 mi. from the ramp. Used the trolling motor to get back to the ramp. Backed the trailer in deeper than usual.I lined up with the trailer & picked up some speed & when I got to the trailer I quickly lifted the trolling motor & floated right up to the bow stop.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Good wife, good lunch and bad shifter ... 2 out of 3 ain't bad!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
bman

Post by bman »

I hate to say it - I would be laughing at you :smt042 :smt043
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

bman wrote:I hate to say it - I would be laughing at you :smt042 :smt043
It was funny to me too... after I got the boat loaded :-D.

Wife asked if we could ever take the boat out and not come home with something to upgrade or fix... I told her I thought that was a rule somewhere in the saltwater regs.
2008 Yamaha 150
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

Great read! :-D Not laughing at you, laughing with you.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

trout fisher wrote:Great read! :-D Not laughing at you, laughing with you.
:thumbup:
2008 Yamaha 150
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Just a quick update put it in a drum tonight and it would shift flawlessly in both directions, in different sequences and warm up mode worked fine too. No abnormal noises, tension felt normal. Guess I'll water test it and stay close in a few trips and see if it was just a fluke or something binding in the cable etc. Got Seatow on speed dial if it goes bad on me too far away from the ramp.
2008 Yamaha 150