How far from shore is the St. Marks stake line?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

How far from shore is the St. Marks stake line?

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

I'm guessing 3 miles, but am not sure if that's correct, and I'm also not sure if it IS 3 miles from "shore," whether it's from the actual shore (grass line) or some point further inland.

Anyone know?
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: How far from shore is the St. Marks stake line?

Post by zload »

For what its worth, charts use the high water mark for measurement reference, if you look at the Navionics chart on the "Charts" page it will show you where the 3 NM line is, roughly about two miles past the #1 channel marker. Chart doesn't show the stake line that I can see and my Garmin map on Homeport doesn't either.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THE STAKE LINE IS ABOUT 1 MILE FROM SHORE ALL THE WAY TO ECONFINA FROM THE LIGHT HOUSE. DONT KNOW BEYOND THAT POINT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

I always understood it to be 2 miles from shore and marks the boundaries of the St. Marks NWR. Which means, you can't duck hunt inside the stake line! :smt011
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

2mi. A little further in some spots.

Boundary map: https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/map_p ... rtical.pdf
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

zload wrote:For what its worth, charts use the high water mark for measurement reference, if you look at the Navionics chart on the "Charts" page it will show you where the 3 NM line is, roughly about two miles past the #1 channel marker. Chart doesn't show the stake line that I can see and my Garmin map on Homeport doesn't either.

Every chart I have says the depths are at "mean low water". Never seen a chart that has readings at a high water mark....
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

I've never seen the stakes down by Aucilla and Ecofina. Guess I just missed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

The line ends just to the east of Aucilla, about a mile east. Does not run to Econfina. They head back to the north towards shore over that way (buoys, not stakes).
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
mirage2521

Post by mirage2521 »

Sun Daze wrote:
zload wrote:For what its worth, charts use the high water mark for measurement reference, if you look at the Navionics chart on the "Charts" page it will show you where the 3 NM line is, roughly about two miles past the #1 channel marker. Chart doesn't show the stake line that I can see and my Garmin map on Homeport doesn't either.

Every chart I have says the depths are at "mean low water". Never seen a chart that has readings at a high water mark....
ALL navigation charts use MLLW as the data for soundings only. Vertical clearances use a high water datum.