Official Scallop Thread - 2016

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

woopty
Site Sponsor

Re: Official Scallop Thread - 2016

Post by woopty »

We always drift and trail a long rope from the boat.
Hold on to the rope and it will pull you over the grass.
Least amount of effort that covers the most ground.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

woopty wrote:We always drift and trail a long rope from the boat.
Hold on to the rope and it will pull you over the grass.
Least amount of effort that covers the most ground.
^^^^^^ Ditto what Woopty said. FAR prefer the drifting method, especially when nearby boat traffic is light. Not only a great way to find and mark good scallop spots away from the masses, but also lets me see much more sea life... rare that I don't drift over sandy spots and see at least a flounder or two. :thumbup: :-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Might add I put a float about 10 feet from the end of the rope off the back of the boat and that really helps cut down the fatigue factor for the kids I've taken. Behind the float I tie off a mesh bag at the very tail end of the rope for holding the collected scallops until I get out of the water. Setup really works great.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

great ideas.

Coolest thing I saw yesterday, was a column about 8'x2' of some sea plant slowly rolling over the grass with the current. Wish I had gotten some video/pics of it.
850-273-8818
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Alright, I've got a crew coming this weekend. My boat is at Lanark, but judging by what I saw while working at my house this weekend, Lanark does not seem to be the place to go this year. Is St. Marks still good?
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MudDucker wrote:Alright, I've got a crew coming this weekend. My boat is at Lanark, but judging by what I saw while working at my house this weekend, Lanark does not seem to be the place to go this year. Is St. Marks still good?
. It's supposed to be. I hope to be there myself sat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

How are the crowds at Keaton now that August is here?
Has anyone found many north of Keaton?

lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

MudDucker wrote:Alright, I've got a crew coming this weekend. My boat is at Lanark, but judging by what I saw while working at my house this weekend, Lanark does not seem to be the place to go this year. Is St. Marks still good?
St Marks was good to us. We ended up about a mile east of the rock garden. Go earlier in the day. We put in at the fort ~9:30am and were able to park in the lot, on the way out around 1:30 the trucks were parked along the road past the stop sign at the first intersection, that being on a sunday. I would expect saturdays to be busier.
850-273-8818
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

lonesouth wrote:
St Marks was good to us. We ended up about a mile east of the rock garden. Go earlier in the day. We put in at the fort ~9:30am and were able to park in the lot, on the way out around 1:30 the trucks were parked along the road past the stop sign at the first intersection, that being on a sunday. I would expect saturdays to be busier.
My son is coming from Atlanta and said he would not be able to leave early, so he won't get in until late, so we will be getting a later start Saturday. I'm hoping that by the time we get there, some folks will have already left, so I don't have to park 2 miles away.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MudDucker wrote:
lonesouth wrote:
My son is coming from Atlanta and said he would not be able to leave early, so he won't get in until late, so we will be getting a later start Saturday. I'm hoping that by the time we get there, some folks will have already left, so I don't have to park 2 miles away.
. Hope the rain holds off for you.

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
MudDucker wrote:
lonesouth wrote:
. Hope the rain holds off for you.

That worries me as much as anything. Of course, I can't control that either. If it comes, we will go again Sunday morning.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Well, the boys woke up earlier than expected so after stopping at Crum's for fuel and food, we headed to St. Marks. Crowd was way lighter than I expected. Launch boat and first thing I find was that when the guys at Justright worked on my console to put the tank in there, they put my gps mount on backwards. Messed around to get that where I could use it and found out there was no power. Later found out (on the hill) there was a butt splice that was loose. ERG! However, you don't need a GPS to go scalloping so out the river we go with the Ol Pro running sweet. Went to the river tripod and turned east to run along the stake line. Get to the smallish armada and idle in from the stake line. See scallops swimming and anchor up. Scattered, but good numbers. We moved 2 more times and I finally noticed that we were a. close to the limit and b. becoming encircled by rain clouds. Head in, hit rain in the river and rain at the ramp. When all cleaned we nailed the limit exactly. Good dinner at Posey's and off to bed. Up now waiting to see if these guys really want a day 2 or not. From the snoring I'm hearing, I am doubting it! :smt005
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MudDucker wrote:Well, the boys woke up earlier than expected so after stopping at Crum's for fuel and food, we headed to St. Marks. Crowd was way lighter than I expected. Launch boat and first thing I find was that when the guys at Justright worked on my console to put the tank in there, they put my gps mount on backwards. Messed around to get that where I could use it and found out there was no power. Later found out (on the hill) there was a butt splice that was loose. ERG! However, you don't need a GPS to go scalloping so out the river we go with the Ol Pro running sweet. Went to the river tripod and turned east to run along the stake line. Get to the smallish armada and idle in from the stake line. See scallops swimming and anchor up. Scattered, but good numbers. We moved 2 more times and I finally noticed that we were a. close to the limit and b. becoming encircled by rain clouds. Head in, hit rain in the river and rain at the ramp. When all cleaned we nailed the limit exactly. Good dinner at Posey's and off to bed. Up now waiting to see if these guys really want a day 2 or not. From the snoring I'm hearing, I am doubting it! :smt005
. Good deal. Glad it worked out. We did not end up going. But plan to on the 20th for my birthday. Hope y'all do well today.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Where are the pics?

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Went back yesterday, just later, because the crew slept in longer. Launched and was able to park in the parking lot, but the line was starting to form. Ran back close to where we were on Saturday, but went in closer. Had over the limit in 1 1/2 hours and had to throw one boys catch back to stay at the limit. Idled in while the boys cleaned. They finished cleaning just as we got to the sand bar at the mouth of the river. We anchored up and floated around taking in the sights and sounds. Saw rain forming inshore, so off we go. Ran through 1/2 mile of rain coming in the river, but no rain at ramp. Had a little trouble getting boat on trailer, because a boat at the dock was sticking out into the ramp area. Used the boat wash and flush on the road out from St. Marks and it was excellent! Headed back to the house to take a shower only to learn that the power was out. Changed cloths and headed back to Panacea to eat at the Shrimp Traders this time. I had the devil crab and it was delicious. Hit the road and back in V-town by 9. One of the boys took some pics and they are supposed to send them to me. When I get them, I will post.