Official Scallop Thread - 2016

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Re: Official Scallop Thread - 2016

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MudDucker wrote:Went back yesterday, just later, because the crew slept in longer. Launched and was able to park in the parking lot, but the line was starting to form. Ran back close to where we were on Saturday, but went in closer. Had over the limit in 1 1/2 hours and had to throw one boys catch back to stay at the limit. Idled in while the boys cleaned. They finished cleaning just as we got to the sand bar at the mouth of the river. We anchored up and floated around taking in the sights and sounds. Saw rain forming inshore, so off we go. Ran through 1/2 mile of rain coming in the river, but no rain at ramp. Had a little trouble getting boat on trailer, because a boat at the dock was sticking out into the ramp area. Used the boat wash and flush on the road out from St. Marks and it was excellent! Headed back to the house to take a shower only to learn that the power was out. Changed cloths and headed back to Panacea to eat at the Shrimp Traders this time. I had the devil crab and it was delicious. Hit the road and back in V-town by 9. One of the boys took some pics and they are supposed to send them to me. When I get them, I will post.
. Sounds like an excellent weekend. Glad it worked out. I don't think I've seen the wash where is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

You drive past it on the way to the fort ramp or Shields. Right-hand side, about 1/4-mile from St. Marks City Hall. Boat/car wash.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

silverking wrote:You drive past it on the way to the fort ramp or Shields. Right-hand side, about 1/4-mile from St. Marks City Hall. Boat/car wash.
. I'll have to check it out.

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
MudDucker wrote:Went back yesterday, just later, because the crew slept in longer. Launched and was able to park in the parking lot, but the line was starting to form. Ran back close to where we were on Saturday, but went in closer. Had over the limit in 1 1/2 hours and had to throw one boys catch back to stay at the limit. Idled in while the boys cleaned. They finished cleaning just as we got to the sand bar at the mouth of the river. We anchored up and floated around taking in the sights and sounds. Saw rain forming inshore, so off we go. Ran through 1/2 mile of rain coming in the river, but no rain at ramp. Had a little trouble getting boat on trailer, because a boat at the dock was sticking out into the ramp area. Used the boat wash and flush on the road out from St. Marks and it was excellent! Headed back to the house to take a shower only to learn that the power was out. Changed cloths and headed back to Panacea to eat at the Shrimp Traders this time. I had the devil crab and it was delicious. Hit the road and back in V-town by 9. One of the boys took some pics and they are supposed to send them to me. When I get them, I will post.
. Sounds like an excellent weekend. Glad it worked out. I don't think I've seen the wash where is it?

On the way out, it is on the left after you pass the Shell Island turn off. It is painted a bright yellow. It has three bays with each bay having a pressure wand, brush and a motor flush for one stop cleaning.

I got one of the pictures so far. This was the Saturday take mid cleaning.
Attachments
scallops.jpg
Last edited by MudDucker on August 8th, 2016, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Nice. Thanks.

Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Water clarity out by Grey Mare
Hoping to scallop this weekend. If anyone gets out that way it would be great to hear what the water clarity is after recent storms.

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Mckayaker wrote:Water clarity out by Grey Mare
Hoping to scallop this weekend. If anyone gets out that way it would be great to hear what the water clarity is after recent storms.

There has been a good bit of rain since I was there Sunday, but clarity Sunday was excellent.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Mckayaker wrote:Water clarity out by Grey Mare

. Water was a little stained at (actually at the rock) Grey Mare but deeper the vis was good sat the 13th.

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

No joy on scallops today. Not skunked, but close. :o

Water was stained and when the tided turned it got worse. Boys had fun swimming and goofing off. They decided that they wanted to swim in the river so I took them about 2 miles up the Wakula. It sounded like I had girl scouts when they hit that cold water. Putting the boat back on the trailer with the wind was interesting. Took them to Coastal and back in Valdosta at 10:30PM. Long day! :-D
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MudDucker wrote:No joy on scallops today. Not skunked, but close. :o

Water was stained and when the tided turned it got worse. Boys had fun swimming and goofing off. They decided that they wanted to swim in the river so I took them about 2 miles up the Wakula. It sounded like I had girl scouts when they hit that cold water. Putting the boat back on the trailer with the wind was interesting. Took them to Coastal and back in Valdosta at 10:30PM. Long day! :-D
At least they had fun. You see any manatees? Yeah lots of folks were having real problems with the with wind at the fort ramp.

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:

At least they had fun. You see any manatees? Yeah lots of folks were having real problems with the with wind at the fort ramp.

Water up the river was too stained to see any manatees. All we saw was refreshing cool water and splashing. :-D
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

We went on Saturday and had similar results. 6 scallopers, 6 or 7 different drops over about 3 hours with only about 40 scallops to show for our efforts. I think they've been picked over and we'll have to wait for next year. Fun while it lasted though!
SC High Tide

Post by SC High Tide »

Anyone have a report on water clarity east of the lighthouse. Everything tells me not to go tomorrow with the wind forecast. Anyone else heading out.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Taking a crew to Keaton in the am, hoping the water is clearer down there.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
SC High Tide

Post by SC High Tide »

At least you should be out of the east wind at Keaton.