Apalachicola Bay fishing in pontoon boat

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

khiggs

Apalachicola Bay fishing in pontoon boat

Post by khiggs »

We are heading down the weekend before thanksgiving with the pontoon. Looking for a few pointers and spots accessible by pontoon. Thanks for any suggestions.
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Apalachicola Bay fishing in pontoon boat

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THE RAMP AT THE LIGHTHOUSE AT THE MOUTH OF THE RIVER CAN HANDLE ALMOST ANYTHING YOU HAVE, I ALWAYS TRY TO LAUNCH AT LEAST 2 HOURS BEFORE LOW TIDE, THE MOUTH OF THE CANAL GETS SHALLOW AT LOW TIDE, WHEN YOU GET OUT OF THE CANAL GO STRAIGHT OUT TO THE RIVER CHANNEL FLOATING MARKER, GO S.EAST OUT TO THE BIRDROOST THE MAKE A LEFT AND YOU WILL BE ON THE EAST FLATS,, GOOD FISING MOST TIMES, STAY AT LEAST 100 YRDS. OUT FROM THE COAST AND KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR ROCKS AFTER YOU GET ABOUT 3 MILES EAST OF THE LIGHTHOUSE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I could be wrong, but the directions pa gave seem very similar to the directions out of the st marks lighthouse. Sorry I can't help,don't know much about Appalachia bay. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Capt Ron

Post by Capt Ron »

I'd recommend fishing East Bay. The oyster bars hold a lot fish in the fall/early winter You would also have access to East River, Whiskey George and Cash's Creek. A big plus is that you would be sheltered from east & north winds, which are the prevailing direction at that time of year.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

East Bay, like Capt Ron said, is a good bet. I usually let the wind, if its a little high, dictate where we fish. Coming from offshore stay behind the island. Ramp under bridge is fine. North, West or East wind, East Bay is best. The ramps on that side, Old Ferry Dock and Sportsman Lodge are nothing to brag on, but do open up right there in East Bay. No wind, take your choice.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
khiggs

Post by khiggs »

Great information guys, thanks for all the pointers.
khiggs

Post by khiggs »

So from what I am hearing and seeing on the maps the East Bay is shallow 6-7ft on average. That being said I assume live shrimp either with an egg sinker rig or a pop'n float rig would work ok?
Capt Ron

Post by Capt Ron »

Depth is more like 3-6', except for the shallow areas. In the winter you won't see 7' unless you're in the rivers. Shrimp or jigs with a tail.