Trolling motor mounting

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wishin2bfishin

Trolling motor mounting

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Got a new trolling motor and am mounting myself. I've looked for tips on mounting so I won't do something wrong but have found nothing but junk.
Anybody have any sites or videos that may be helpful?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Trolling motor mounting

Post by Steve Stinson »

We need more info to be of any substantial help. Assuming this is a bow mount motor, a picture of the front casting deck on your boat would help. Also need to know if you have access to the underside of the mounting area, if your boat is already wired for a bow mount motor, and where your batteries are going to be located.

I have a Sea Ark 2072, which came with a mounting platform that sat sideways across the front deck. I moved it off to one side and ran the trolling motor parallel to the gunnel. I am much happier with it this way as there is more room on the front deck and it is easier to get in / out at the dock.

Do not use wire that is any smaller gauge than what is on the trolling motor, and try to avoid as many splices or connections as possible. Each connection is going to corrode over time when used in the saltwater.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

cheapest I've found for supplies when doing mine
http://www.bestboatwire.com/
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

I have a 17 ft Key Largo and it is a bow mount. Placed it on the bow to get an idea and wasn't sure which side would be best and at what angle. From what I can see, it's up to the individual.

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Exactly.
You can mount it wherever you have room. Make sure you check the location with the motor both in the folded position and the down position before drilling your mounting holes. Also - you may want to see if the motor head or foot is extending beyond the gunnels when the motor is folded. If so, it is easy to bang it on a dock or boat trailer and damage the motor. I also try to mount mine where the prop can spin freely in the folded position (trust me, it will get turned on by accident at some point in time). :thumbup:

Steve Stinson
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Good tips.
Thanks Steve

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That's great advice, especially the lsat sentence. I have a little worn spot on my bow where it wasn't pulled up all the way up the plastic that the foot sets on when stowed. Now I pilots come so you can turn the prop around and stow in that way. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I recently installed a Minn Kota Riptide ST on my Parker. Along with it I bought the Composite Quick Release Bracket for a couple of reasons, but it really helped with the installation. First off it's a soft material like Starboard, so if your boat is fiberglass you can install the bracket on the motor, then slide it anywhere you want without worrying about scratches to the gel coat. Also the bracket reduces the footprint needed for the motor, which for the Parker was a big help. Finally when you've got the motor in the location where you want to install it, you can carefully pull the pin and leave the mount puck in the spot, then mark the drill locations. I highly recommend the bracket for installation ease, and then being able to easily pull the motor for storage. I also cut and drilled a piece of 2X6 to match the puck, and then attached it to the wall in my garage to keep the stowed motor out of the way when it's off the boat.
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Thanks reelhandy. Riptide SP is what I'm mounting and I ordered the quick release bracket today. I like your storage idea. Good info.
Dumb question but does everybody keep their TM battery in the back? I have a compartment up front that I could keep the battery in but I'm wondering about rough water and the heavy battery damaging the deck.

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I like my batteries as close to the trolling motor as I can get them. If you have room in the front, I would put it up there. You will need to put them in battery boxes and strap them down so that they don't bang around in rough seas. Moving the batteries forward reduces your wire run length, and also helps the boat plane easier in shallow water.
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Sounds like a plan.