Newbie Here! Need advice!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flexbone

Newbie Here! Need advice!

Post by flexbone »

Headed to Keaton for Thanksgiving. I currently live in North Carolina and do a lot of striper and small mouth fishing up here. For years we have spent 1-2 two weeks at Keaton every summer scalloping but just never do much fishing. This Thanksgiving I want to take my boys (ages 16,14, and 11) out fishing and just need some general advice on where to go. I have all the gear and tackle (popper corks, plastics etc) I just need someone to give me some general advice on where and how to fish. I would love to catch some reds but any type of fish will do. Thanks in advance!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Newbie Here! Need advice!

Post by DixieReb »

I'd go out of the channel and head north to the Dekle bird rack and start fishing there. Rig a popping cork about 4 ft. and keep it out in a holder or pop and work it back to the boat, either way should work. And keep another rod rigged to straight-jig fish on 1/4 oz. head. White and glow gulps have been producing good lately, but try other colors if those don't work. Live pins under an oval float work good as well. I always take a small spinner for catching small baitfish and use them. Good luck, hope you do well. Take a landing net, a lot of them get loose right at the boat.
Yours in the South
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

"Take a landing net, a lot of them get loose right at the boat."

Yeah, they do!!
flexbone

Post by flexbone »

DixieReb wrote:I'd go out of the channel and head north to the Dekle bird rack and start fishing there. Rig a popping cork about 4 ft. and keep it out in a holder or pop and work it back to the boat, either way should work. And keep another rod rigged to straight-jig fish on 1/4 oz. head. White and glow gulps have been producing good lately, but try other colors if those don't work. Live pins under an oval float work good as well. I always take a small spinner for catching small baitfish and use them. Good luck, hope you do well. Take a landing net, a lot of them get loose right at the boat.
Great info. Thanks for the tips!!!
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Do what Dixie said. Keep moving until you find fish. If you haven't caught something in 10-15 minutes, move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

Head north, look for channels in the 2-5ft depth. If you head north, there is a channel in the flat close to the bird rack. Like said above, don't sit still long if there's no bites. If all else fails, head south to big grassy island and Dallas creek as last resort. Live pins, spooks, poppers, gulp shrimp or ZMan shrimp. New pinney, white/chartreuse. Mirrodine, or my personal favorite a manns 1minus.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk