Best spinning Reel for +-$120

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

UFBeef

Re: Best spinning Reel for +-$120

Post by UFBeef »

Bass Pro Shops wrote:Go with the Shimano Nasci, my partner on my fishing team bought one about six months ago and you will not find a better reel for that price range. we have that reel for $99.99 every day here at Bass Pro Shops.
If a Stradic isn't in your price range, I'd do this ^, x100.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Hadn't even heard of the Nasci... videos make it look like an interesting option worth at least considering. Nice looking reel and few features sound positive for the price point. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aQKTLmEAXo[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQDXZREyMZ4[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I didn't even know the Symetre had been replaced. I may have to go get one of these now, just to try it out.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Salty Gator wrote:I've heard penn battle are junk. Know 3 people with similar experience
Penn Battle II has replaced Penn Battle.

Penn Battle II rated 4.8/5 stars Bass Pro Shops (383 reviews)
http://www.basspro.com/PENN-Battle-II-S ... 009562414/
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

MIAcanes44 wrote:I have two Penn Battles. One sounds like a grain mill and the other is smooth. I also have a Penn Conflict ($129.99 ) that I am really impressed with. I have had it for 3 years now and not a single problem. I must agree with others though. The NASCI looks and feels nice but, its too new to know how they will hold up.
"Sounds like a grain mill" Have you torn down this reel for cleaning and lubrication? Or had this reel serviced?
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Best Saltwater Spinning Reel for 2016-2017
http://www.reelrocket.net/best-saltwate ... he-monety/

Best Spinning Reel Under $100 for 2016-2017
http://www.reelrocket.net/best-spinning-reel-under-100/

Best Inshore Spinning Reels Under $200 2016
http://best-spinningreels.com/best-insh ... 0-at-2016/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Lots of info here. One guy that gave you advice repairs reels and another tests reels, I'd listen to them.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
MIAcanes44

Post by MIAcanes44 »

2Salty wrote:
MIAcanes44 wrote:I have two Penn Battles. One sounds like a grain mill and the other is smooth. I also have a Penn Conflict ($129.99 ) that I am really impressed with. I have had it for 3 years now and not a single problem. I must agree with others though. The NASCI looks and feels nice but, its too new to know how they will hold up.
"Sounds like a grain mill" Have you torn down this reel for cleaning and lubrication? Or had this reel serviced?
Not yet. It has been sitting on a shelf for 5 months now waiting to get repaired.
When you catch so many, you just stop counting.
bbb

Post by bbb »

I misunderstood the budget I was given. $120 would have to cover the rod and reel.

So I bought a Penn Fierce 2 2500, ($60)which had great reviews and a 7' All Star rod($50). I think my 10 yr old son will appreciate it.

Thanks for all the advice. I'd like to buy one of each but......there is that gold band on my right hand.........

That Shimano Nasci really has my attention cause "daddy always needs another reel".

But I do have 3 Stradics that I attempted the "clean" and could not get them back together right. So maybe I'll just spend the money to get them revitalized.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

That will be a great outfit for your son, one that he'll be proud of.

As far as repairs/servicing (or putting them back together :wink: ), Jim Hanshaw, Reel Repairs by Jim, can handle those chores. And now is a good time to get service work done during the slower season. It's also a good time to get the boat in the shop to have service too (for anyone).

I haven't had the chance to test the new NASCI reel yet, but I do know Shimano incorporated many of the recent improvements into it. Same goes for the Stratic CI4+, which was just announced. The company develops new parts and technology for their premium reels and gradually those filter down to the less expensive reels as new generations are developed. The Hargane gear system is one example of that.
Last edited by silverking on December 8th, 2016, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Falcon and 13 fishing both make a nice spinning reel. I've been very please with 13 fishing so far! both reels are under your price range as well.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

bbb wrote:I misunderstood the budget I was given. $120 would have to cover the rod and reel.

So I bought a Penn Fierce 2 2500, ($60)which had great reviews and a 7' All Star rod($50). I think my 10 yr old son will appreciate it.

Thanks for all the advice. I'd like to buy one of each but......there is that gold band on my right hand.........

That Shimano Nasci really has my attention cause "daddy always needs another reel".

But I do have 3 Stradics that I attempted the "clean" and could not get them back together right. So maybe I'll just spend the money to get them revitalized.
I thought the gold band was supposed to go on the left hand,unless.........
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I have several Shimano Sahara that I use a lot as loaner reels (for folks that don't bring gear). I like them fine and they last well. My daughter, that fishes 4-5 times a year with me, has had one for 4+ years. Can get them on sale regularly.

I have a Quantam Smoke Inshore that I like a lot. Paired with a light rod and it is my go to trout rod. Fought that 25" red yesterday in current with 8# mono and it was a fight. I love it for jigging for trout. The drag is smooth, but pretty quiet, I can't hear it sing like my other reels, but it is smooth enough. I have caught a 23-24" cobia on it while working a jig out of Carrabelle.

I have had bad luck with Penns. Probably a maintenance issue. Also was 15+ years ago. BIL loves them, but he uses larger sizes that I do.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
bbb

Post by bbb »

Salty Gator wrote:
I thought the gold band was supposed to go on the left hand,unless.........
I sang the song in my head and stopped at right. ;)

"He put a gold band on the right left hand this time"
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

MIAcanes44 wrote:
2Salty wrote:
Not yet. It has been sitting on a shelf for 5 months now waiting to get repaired.
5 months? Really? Seriously?

What is your normal and typical reel care and maintenance protocol?