Ochlocknee River

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ertauber

Ochlocknee River

Post by ertauber »

LAUNCHED yesterday at the park. They did a very nice job rebuilding the launch ramp. That's where the good news ends. I have fished the area for years so I thought with the colder weather maybe the reds had moved in. Not yet!. I started trolling all my favorite spots with crank baits. Nothing. Moved down river from Bear creek including the deep holes by the cut. Drifted using shrimp, gulp. nothing. Finally caught one trout on a crank bait. Moved into Bear Creek all the way to the boil. Same tactics- same results.
Conclusion- wait til we have lots of cold weather.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Ochlocknee River

Post by silverking »

You're right, that is a great example of tax dollars wisely spent.

Thanks for the honest report. This cool and hot WX has the fish all confused, but that area is one of my wintertime favorites too.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Thanks, sorry they didn't bite. I wonder if all the rain we got recently has pushed the fish further downriver? Trout are biting at the lighthouse, they should be upriver now.
Yours in the South
BldHnd86

Post by BldHnd86 »

We were on the river Thanksgiving weekend and there were people catching Reds at the landing beside the trussel. Also had a friend that caught a bunch of pups between the trussel and the first bend down river. I have found the river and the bay area to be alot more finicky than St Marks or Keaton. Just my opinion. In full disclosure I am fairly new to fishing this area for trout and redfish so that very well may be the problem. ..
ertauber

Post by ertauber »

Are you referring to the trestle way upriver with that little launch ramp up by the Crooked River? I have heard that you can get stripers right in front of that old bridge in the deep pool. Wonder if that is still true?
BldHnd86

Post by BldHnd86 »

ertauber wrote:Are you referring to the trestle way upriver with that little launch ramp up by the Crooked River? I have heard that you can get stripers right in front of that old bridge in the deep pool. Wonder if that is still true?
Yes, that's where I am talking about. Back in the mid 80s we used to catch stripers and I think they were called "Sunshine bass" trolling beside the trussel on the upriver and downriver sides. Plan on trying it again this winter. Don't know if it is still productive tho.