Trolling Motor Questions

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mblambert

Trolling Motor Questions

Post by mblambert »

I'm looking to install (more accurately, get someone else to install) a trolling motor on my 1720cc Key West Sportsman, and I've got a couple of questions that I'm curious if anyone can help me with. First off, I'm leaning towards a 70lb thrust Riptide, hand controlled (unsure of which bow mount mounting system, probably either Maxxum or Edge). Anyone recommend one over the other?

Secondly, on-board charger? Must have? If so, any recommendations?

Lastly, anyone recommend someone who will do a good job with electronics? I've had routine maintenance done at Shields, Mike's, Parkway and Sunshine Boats and Motors and really have no complaints about any of them. In addition to installing the batteries/trolling motor/charger (maybe), I may ask to have some of the electrical under the console cleaned up.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Matt
mpa_72001

Re: Trolling Motor Questions

Post by mpa_72001 »

Go back to Mikes and get Mike Jr to get ya done right.
bman

Post by bman »

T.M. service center- near Home Depot on capital circle North West.
574-4245
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
cleanlivin

Post by cleanlivin »

Marvin at sunshine boats just installed several pieces of electronics for me and did a great job
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I am going to send you an I.M. with my cell number in it. Call me when you have time. I have more to say about this than I have time to type.

Thanks - Steve Stinson
Bass Pro Shops
Site Sponsor

Post by Bass Pro Shops »

Come by or give our Tracker service department a call, we have our Spring Fishing Classic coming up and we usually offer FREE Standard installation with the purchase of many of the items you are looking for during our Triple Crown Event.
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

I have the same boat and have figured out after 8 months of fishing that I really need/want a trolling motor too-Youre request for tips/information was perfect. I haven't done enough research yet, but have been lucky enough to fish with some guys that have the "ipilot" system. I know its more $$$, but is it worth it vs hand controlled, and can you get one that fits on the 1720 key west?
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Look hard at th TM with the spot lock option, MG was d efinitely leading in this game, but heard MK made some upgrades in their newer models. It's an awesome feature that will change the way you fish. I have had Dual Pro Chargers, never had an issue, last one was 13 years old when I changed it out. If you want something to.charge on the go, look into Stealth Charging Systems.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

You might want to shoot forum member Old Dog a message. He's traded his old Key West for a new one and upgraded from an i-pilot Riptide to the self deploying and retracting model.. That thing is a sweet back saver...not only can you adjust the prop's depth with the push of a button but just push a button and it deploys, push another and it's in the boat. Any way, he still has his Riptide I-pilot and has mentioned selling it.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/