Suggestions for saltwater fly setup

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rbmcrae

Post by Rbmcrae »

Any saltwater fly fishermen on the forum? I am looking to try catching a red and some trout on fly but not exactly sure where to start with my rod and reel. I know an 8 weight rod and matched reel is about right for flats but I know nothing of quality brands in a reasonable price range. Looking to spend $300-$400 for the rod and reel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
msavara

Re: Suggestions for saltwater fly setup

Post by msavara »

Take a look at TFO Rods, good rods and reels and they have some rods made for salt-water
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

My recommendation would be to look under the fly fishing section. Terrier seems to have it nailed as far as fly fishing is concerned. Also an 8 weight is pretty heavy, I would think a 6 weight might be better for trout and reds unless you are getting into some bull action. Finally when I got into fly fishing 10 years ago I got an inexpensive 150 dollar setup I still use to this day. As long as you get a reel with smooth drag and something designed for salt you should be fine. Also a second spool for the reel with a different line IE sinking and floating is good. Maybe even get something used. Spend the bigger bucks once you have some experience under your belt and you have a better idea of what you really want. Good luck and tight lines!!!!
Bass Pro Shops
Site Sponsor

Post by Bass Pro Shops »

Come by Bass Pro Shops and ask for Austin Burroughs who is an avid saltwater fly fisherman, I have also added a link below to a saltwater combo that is ready to fish and reasonably priced.

http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sport ... t/2125800/
Rbmcrae

Post by Rbmcrae »

Bass Pro Shops wrote:Come by Bass Pro Shops and ask for Austin Burroughs who is an avid saltwater fly fisherman, I have also added a link below to a saltwater combo that is ready to fish and reasonably priced.

Which bass pro?

bbb

Post by bbb »

Rbmcrae wrote:
Bass Pro Shops wrote:Come by Bass Pro Shops and ask for Austin Burroughs who is an avid saltwater fly fisherman, I have also added a link below to a saltwater combo that is ready to fish and reasonably priced.

Which bass pro?

Tallahassee.

Several yrs ago I got the bug to catch a red on fly. Bought a lightweight $100 setup with a few streamers. Found a creek in the winter on a low tide and caught 8 trout and 2 reds. Ended up using it to fly fish the Flint for bream mainly. A yr or 2 later I did get into the Spanish off St George and had a blast. Its been sitting in my shed unused for the last few years. Luckily I don't have that much invested in it.

Wished I would have had it in the boat last month when we were tearing the trout up. Fly fishing is a lot more fun when the fish are biting.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Based on my experience, an 8-weight outfit is the best all-around for inshore saltwater fly-fishing. Enough power and action to handle the typical winds and the ability to punch bigger flies through it. Reds love deer hair streamers and chuggers like Dahlberg Divers, spoon flies, crab flies, etc. I typically throw shrimp and Clouser patterns for trout. Also foam topwater poppers. If you're constantly having to fight to get the flies to turn over, you're going to get frustrated in a hurry and lose interest. An 8-weight will also be fine for Spanish mackerel, pompano, jacks and bluefish. Once you get comfortable, you can always scale down to a 7- or even a 6-weight for more challenge and sport.

The BPS/Offshore Angler outfits are good quality with medium action for more forgiveness. Again, less frustration for beginners. Prices for the OA/Gold Cup start at about $330. They have cheaper combos but I haven't used them. Not a big fan of the TFO rods. Fast, but stiff and cumbersome to cast, IMO. Again, once you get more familiar with fly fishing and decide to stick with it, you can always upgrade and keep your beginner for a backup. I'd go with a Weight-Forward Floating line and 20-pound backing.

Hopefully Terrier will chime in as he fly-fishes almost exclusively and will have some great recommendations as well.

Good luck and have fun. It is a unique and challenging way to target inshore species.

And by the way, there is a section dedicated to fly fishing on the forum for posts like this.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

8wt or 7wt (easier on the arm, but not as good when the wind is blowing). Temple Fork makes some good rods - the BVK in 7 or 8 wt is good, goes for about 280.00. The TFO Pro II is a more forgiving rod and gets the job done for about 160.00. The TFO Mangrove is good as well. As for reels, Lamson makes good reels for inshore fish around here - the Lamson Guru 3.5 is a good starting point, although Sierra Trading Post has the Lamson Litespeed 3.5 Series IV Fly Reel for 229.00 (marked down from 389.00. There are other options - Ross CLA, Allen Kraken for about 220.00. Generally, you won't use the reel for most trout - just hand line then in, but for reds, jacks and other fish will be played off the reel. Fly line can be expensive, but I get most of mine from ebay for $20.00 - $30.00. I like Airflo bonefish, Wulff Bermuda for floating lines and Cortland and Wulff for intermediate lines (intermediate is a slow sinker 0 I fish an intermediate about 80% of the time).

I think with a TFO professional 8wt rod, a Lamson Guru or the Lamson Litespeed , plus line, you would come in around 450.00 if you paid full price for the line. If you do ebay, you could put together a nice 8wt setup for less, but with a new reel and rod, you'll get lifetime warrenties. I would look at ebay for fly lines - you can save a lot of money.

If you're in Tallahassee, check with Kevin's - they have some TFO rods. Kevins is also a good place to get backing put on the reel - at least 150 yards of 20lb dacron - be about 7-8 bucks.

Let me know if you have any questions.