FWC Looking for input on flounder, sheepshead, tripletail

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: FWC Looking for input on flounder, sheepshead, tripletai

Post by silverking »

Red drum are a designated game fish in Florida waters and spotted seatrout and sheepshead are still included as a restricted species eligible for commercial harvest. Flounder and tripletail too.
Last edited by silverking on February 3rd, 2017, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

silverking wrote:What power boat(s) do you own, 2Salty? Nothing wrong with kayak fishing. I own one myself and it's a fun and effective way to fish the coast. But powerboat owners help support ramp construction/improvements, add to the local communities (as the Cedar Key ramp thread demonstrates) and other fish and wildlife initiatives through earmarked excise taxes (Wallop-Breaux, among others). Boat registrations are also another way to help track fishery impacts. Granted, taxes are paid with the initial purchase of kayaks and gear, but those monies go into the general revenue fund. And kayaks don't have to be registered with paddle power.

Do you truly believe higher bag limits are not affecting fish populations? Say, three adult anglers on a bay boat fishing for sheepshead for the weekend? Isn't 90 fish over two days just a little excessive? And would you like an artificial cap on the number or state residence of customers in your particular business?
What business is it of yours what power boat(s) I currently own or have owned? I've bought, fished, owned and sold several "power boats" in my time - in Florida. And have paid my fair share of fees over time. I've also always had/have now paid and valid fishing licenses in Florida (as well as my immediate family). My current kayak is registered in Florida, because sometimes I use a motor on it.

I said NOTHING regarding keeping, raising or reducing the daily bag limits in Florida of flounder, sheepshead and tripletail.

You've said NOTHING (despite a previous request here) to support your prior comment that the redfish fishery is in decline.

And yes, I'd like to see FWC put a cap on the number of active, current and valid fishing licenses, beginning with non-resident licenses.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

2Salty wrote:I said NOTHING regarding keeping, raising or reducing the daily bag limits in Florida of flounder, sheepshead and tripletail.
Can say that again. Isn't that the point of this thread?

And kayaks don't count. :lol:
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

2Salty wrote:
JeffB wrote:...But, there aren't many places that rival Florida for fishing, and people come from everywhere to fish there...
Exactly. Florida is #1 in the USA for non-resident fishing licenses (553, 853). And to reiterate, in Florida non-resident fishing licenses comprise 35% of total fishing licenses.

In Florida, a non-resident annual saltwater fishing license costs $47.

Texas non-resident annual saltwater fishing license $63. [3 reds/day 20" - 28" Spotted Seatrout 5-10/day (depending on area) 15" - 25"]
Louisiana non-resident annual saltwater fishing license $90. [5 reds/day 16" not more than 1 over 27" Spotted Seatrout 25/day 12" minimum]

And all the while Florida resident anglers are subjected to tighter and tighter regulations prompted in large part by concerns about fish abundance. But we don't hear much (or anything at all) about Florida reducing or at least putting a cap on the number of non-resident fishing licenses available for sale - or increasing the cost of non-resident fishing licenses.

FWC is "missing the boat" (no pun intended) by not seeing that appropriation of additional revenues that could be gained from increasing non-resident fishing license fees could help better manage and improve Florida's fisheries.

Perhaps now more so than ever concerns about Florida fish abundance should focus more on the number of anglers.
The florida non resident license is probably a much better source of revenues versus impact to the fishery, than the resident license is. A 7 day license is $30. Few tourists paying for a 7 day license are likely to fish all 7 days. If they are on a 2 week vacation, the $47 license is the way to go. Once again it's highly unlikely that they will fish every day during their vacation. If they want to bass fish 1 day during each week of their vacation that's another $47.
I owned a place in Florida for 6 years before I became a resident. Each of those years I'd spend 1 month in Fl., buy the full non-resident package for fresh and salt water, and take maybe enough fish for two meals a year. That's 3 or 4 fish per year for $94.
On the other hand, now that I'm a Florida resident I get the whole package for $32.50. If I keep the same average of 3-4 fish per month, that's 36 to 48 fish per year for $32.50.
Seems to me if you're going to promote placing restrictions on how many people should be paying fees to take fish in the state. To reduce impact on the fishery, while still collecting revenues, the non-residents aren't the place to start.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Put my input in on the trout season.
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

All we are doing is fueling HIS fire, lets go back to Silverkings original post click on the FWC link and leave our comments, there at least we may do some good. :wink:
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

SCALAWAG wrote:All we are doing is fueling HIS fire, lets go back to Silverkings original post click on the FWC link and leave our comments, there at least we may do some good. :wink:
:thumbup: This^^^
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

SCALAWAG wrote:...lets go back to Silverkings original post click on the FWC link and leave our comments, there at least we may do some good. :wink:
With the approval and support of FWC Commissioners, in 2016 FWC Staff put forth a significant effort to conduct a Red Drum survey. A review of FWC Commission meeting minutes shows that 1.) FWC Commissioners moved forward with its decision to reduce the daily redfish limit before survey results were completely gathered and fully compiled and 2.) survey results were never considered, not even mentioned in Commissioners' meeting minutes.

The FWC Commissioners' vote to reduce the daily redfish completely ignored the survey, the results of which did NOT support the Commissioners' desire to reduce the bag limit. Nor did the FWC Commissioners provide ANY scientific support for their decision to reduce the daily bag limit.

The Red Drum Survey conducted by FWC Staff turned out to be a waste of time and resources - it was nothing more than "an exercise in futility."

You may do some good providing FWC with input on flounder, sheepshead and tripletail, however, if recent history and results is a predictor, don't hold your breath - unless you look good in blue.
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

Oh well
Attachments
smurf.jpg
smurf.jpg (8.81 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

I'm enjoying 2S's rant. As a S Ga redneck, all of that 100K Florida hunters must target our hunting area. They have ran our land rent from $4 to $10 per acre.
I just quit hunting because every land owner said some guys from Florida will give me $10 an acre...
But hey, that's the free market. They will pay, they can have it.
While I reside in Ga, I pay around $4000 in taxes in Bay county. Does that still cut me out of fishing in Florida?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

And while I'm at it, when I was a kid (100 years ago) we could see the water turn red with the schools of reds in Taylor county waters. There's not many more boats on the water now vs. late 60s. Where did all the fish go? I don't believe the hook and line fishermen have destroyed the stock. I'm all for management, but they are looking in the wrong places.

FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

wishin2bfishin wrote:And while I'm at it, when I was a kid (100 years ago) we could see the water turn red with the schools of reds in Taylor county waters. There's not many more boats on the water now vs. late 60s. Where did all the fish go? I don't believe the hook and line fishermen have destroyed the stock. I'm all for management, but they are looking in the wrong places.

Nail head, meet hammer! :smt117
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Not many more boats now like in the 60s I don't know how often you go but it looks like scallop season out there at times even during the week.there's lot more pressure on them with all the offshore rules now and with trout season open year round now unfortunately
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I actually got a response back on my input on our trout fishery about an assessment on it too.
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

Threw in my 2 cents to the FWC. Thanks for keeping us in the know silver king. I love to fish and conservation is important to be able to pass along this resource. 10 or 15 fish bag limits are excessive in almost all cases. I'm fine with one redfish as well. Plenty of meat on a bronze bomber. I also feel like one fish is not to many and the snapper and grouper limits should be raised even if it is to just one. Just my thoughts.