Goliath Grouper bag limit?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Goliath Grouper bag limit?

Post by bman »

FWC is discussing allowing the harvest of Goliath Grouper.
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/l ... /97281234/

What is the collecting wisdom of the brain trust here?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Goliath Grouper bag limit?

Post by silverking »

Don't really encounter them in my own fishing but I know they are thick on reefs throughout the state.

Sounds like scoping meetings on tap. If the population can sustain it (and goliaths are very susceptible to over harvest by spearfishing), a smaller slot size and limited tag program like they have for tarpon would probably be the way to go.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

We hook into them (or at least what I believe are goliath grouper) quite frequently. My question is, are they good to eat? It seems like a fish that big would not not be very good table fair.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

I think they should allow the harvest of however many juveniles of what ever size sound science says the " JEWFISH " can stand on rod and reel only. Just my opinion
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

They have become a serious pain on just about all structures offshore. We can catch them up to 500 lbs whenever we want. They steal most of our game fish and have no fear of being caught. Most of the big ones we catch have old hooks all over there mouth. Please let us educate them a little bit. :evil:
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Aren't Goliaths one of the few fish that'll prey on a lionfish?
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

They need to start harvesting them, I'm from S. FL and when those things move into an area they eat everything and I mean everything, they are overly abundant. I would think there are some major concerns with ciguatera eating one of the larger ones.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'm also from South Florida and can remember when it was legal to catch and keep "Jewfish" . I also remember that not many people ate them because their meat was usually full of flukes / worms. Most catches went to crab and lobster traps as bait. The open season back then reduced their numbers drastically and to my knowledge there were no adverse conditions on other species. Today, it's almost impossible to fish a reef or bridge without encountering a goliath grouper. I don't think they're the nuisance here in the panhandle they are in South Florida. IMO, open season south of Tampa and limited season North and leave it that way until they reach the endangered category again.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I've fished and dived the keys at least once a year for many years. Just from my personal observations when I encounter a goliath on a reef patch I never see any other life there except for lionfish. They just devastate the area they live in and of course then they have to move on to devastate another area. I think it is time for a limited harvest.