Minn Kota i pilot review

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EddieJoe

Re: Minn Kota i pilot review

Post by EddieJoe »

I'm jealous of folks that have these advanced trollers especially those with gps technology. Technically, I might be able to mount one on my boat but it would need a super long shaft as I have a tall bow and high sides. Folks on the Pioneer web site (my boat) have done it, but it requires a super powerful unit as well. With the boat in dry storage, don't know how I would charge the batteries, either. Heck,truth is I imagine it would also set me back $2-3 thousand, with batteries, electrical stuff, and installed.
What did it cost you guys?

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I've got the ulterra and I can't say enough about it. I had the Ipilot on my last boat and fell in love with it so when I built the boat I have now I pulled the trigger and went with the ulterra. it just makes fishing so much easier. if you have a poling platform or casting platform/tower you can control it from anywhere. if you wanted your wife or kids up front and you're in the back, no problem! The commercial where the guy backs his boat into the water and lets it float off and uses it's to bring it back to the dock ( I've done it and it's awesome) there's lot's of options like mentioned above and they are all nice. I do like the fact I can trim the shaft up and down quickly for change of depth in seconds. I did also get the foot control for it for when I fish the local bass tournaments and it's very nice! not big or anything like your normal foot control pedal. it's flat and has all your buttons to quickly choose from as well.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Unplugging while charging is both experience and as far as I know it is supposed to be in the manual. The last tech I talked to said it had been added. I can promise it will eventually get the control board. Especially in the V2 models that are powered all the time.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

Also can just switch off the circuit breaker while charging. Battery Switch should be off when charging cranking battery too.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

crappielimits wrote:Also can just switch off the circuit breaker while charging. Battery Switch should be off when charging cranking battery too.
Thanks. That's what I've been doing. Rather not constantly unplug connection since it's nice and tight now and filled with dielectric grease.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My experience was an older model and it was - replace board, replace board, replace board. it was mounted on a Carolina skiff semi v (only thing wetter is a submarine). My BIL has an anchor rope and fishes offshore down south and never uses his anchor. We were fishing in 5 minutes and never moved and he had a big boat. Worked very well and was probably 2-3 years old when I went with him.

Makes me wonder about that new technology where they can waterproof a phone with a nano coating. Might be something to look into and is very affordable. Would probably just need to do the board.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?