Z-man scented shrimp VS Gulp

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

HookemBookem1

Re: Z-man scented shrimp VS Gulp

Post by HookemBookem1 »

Never used Z-man but just ordered me some of the scented shrimp in new penny to give a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I think you will like the z-man plastics. They are very durable and trout like them. They can be a pain to get all the way up the hook, but I just keep working it up til it stays next to the head. My choice so far has been the natural color.
Yours in the South
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

If you're new to Z-Man soft plastics, know that Z-Man recommends not to store their ElaZtech products with other types of soft plastics:

The perfect storage solution for ElaZtech® soft plastics, the Bait BinderZ is designed to fit the pre-punched holes found on standard-size Z-Man bait bags. When stored in the Bait BinderZ, baits remain easily accessible and away from other soft baits that could react with the ElaZtech material.

Encourages proper storage of ElaZtech® baits in original packaging and away from other types of soft baits.

https://zmanfishing.com/cms/products/bait-binderz/
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

The Zoom Bait Company also makes soft plastics that are effective for inshore saltwater species. I like Zoom's Super Fluke/Super Fluke Jr. and Swimmin Super Fluke/Super Fluke Jr.:

https://zoombait.com/

Add Pro-Cure to them (if you think it's effective).
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Slayer Inc. Lure Co. (Jacksonville Beach, FL) makes soft plastics effective for Florida's inshore saltwater species.

Like jig heads? Slayer has them. Like extra-wide gap (EWG) hooks rigged weedless? Slayer has them.

And...Slayer's "S.S.T. Sinister Stick Bait" is awesome for flounder!

http://slayerinc.com/
bbb

Post by bbb »

Well just ordered some Z baits, Storm 360s and some hooks and jigs. Had a Bass Pro gift card to burn. You can buy a lot of tackle for $100 online.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

2Salty wrote:If you're new to Z-Man soft plastics, know that Z-Man recommends not to store their ElaZtech products with other types of soft plastics...
This is probably the most relevant information you've ever copied and pasted, good call.

Yeah, Zman will melt with other plastics into one terrible nightmarish goopy mess. Also why I never went back to it, same with Vudu shrimp.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

With soft plastics what's the advantage of using jig heads vs. extra-wide gap hooks (un-weighted or weighted)?
Deep and faster presentation? If the fish are picking it up off the bottom, then it gets there faster. Sometimes I think the larger and faster rise and drop works too. Depends on what the fish want. The jig heads I use keep the shad tail pointed up and I have had days where I caught two to one on someone fishing a standard jig that just lays flat. Every day is different and I just try to figure out the pattern. Sometimes I win, sometimes the fish does.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Guess I will just have to stop in Macon on the way home from Athens Sunday. :-D
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

They sell z-man products at Gone Fish'in in Thomasville. Where I have to get mine.
Yours in the South
EddieJoe

Z-man scented shrimp VS Gulp

Post by EddieJoe »

N
Last edited by EddieJoe on February 24th, 2017, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

EddieJoe wrote:
silverking wrote:I've tried the Z-Man lures a few times and caught fish on them, but that material is so rubbery it's more trouble than it's worth for me to thread on to a jig head. No denying they work, though.

Don't use Gulp!

A few anecdotes...

Gulp! was tested at the FSU Marine Lab in St. Teresa. I interviewed the Berkley designer one time and like Coke, he wouldn't divulge the secret ingredient, but fairly certain it's menhaden oil.

DOA shrimp are infused with aquaculture-raised grass shrimp, so they do have some scent in addition to life-like action. But as Mark Nichols, DOA president, likes to say, "fish them slower than evolution!" :wink:

Pro-Cure Bait Gels are made with real crushed baits. They have a new Pinfish flavor out now, but the shrimp and mullet gels are very effective for adding real scent to standard plastic jigs and plugs. It stays on several minutes before it needs to be re-applied.
Well, agree on everything but the Pro Cure. That's an angler catcher but never seemed to help catch a fish. My cousin laughed his butt off at me using it in lower LA on gold spoon. Technique such as precise cast, presentation and retrieve works with hard baits. Glommed on Pro cure didn't do squat.

Soft baits with built in scent are very effective, though.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

LA fish are absolutely stupid and totally skew any scientific analysis.

Can't quantify with lab results, but I have had more than a few trout and reds pound a lure with a liberal trace of Pro-Cure. Coincidence? Maybe. But when it's the real McCoy laced along the flanks of a soft or hard plastic fake, what does it hurt to add a little juice, besides the wallet. And a bottle of P-C goes a long ways.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

silverking wrote:LA fish are absolutely stupid and totally skew any scientific analysis.

Can't quantify with lab results, but I have had more than a few trout and reds pound a lure with a liberal trace of Pro-Cure. Coincidence? Maybe. But when it's the real McCoy laced along the flanks of a soft or hard plastic fake, what does it hurt to add a little juice, besides the wallet. And a bottle of P-C goes a long ways.
Yeah, ok. Sounds just like the Flats Class show done down in the marsh. "C.A. , I always put on the Pro-Cure for that edge". Product placement is rampant on fishing shows and everyone is selling their sponsors products, and I get that. But, I find it useless.

EJ

EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

silverking wrote:LA fish are absolutely stupid and totally skew any scientific analysis.

Oh, I forgot to comment that LA fish seem about as canny as Florida fish, except there are more of them and fewer anglers. Sometimes they will eat anything thrown within ten yards of their nose, other times they reject most any artificial bait, scented or not. This makes for 50-75 slot and bigger redfish days and some right around 15. But always better than Florida. And the bag is five fish 16-27, one fish can be over slot. That's real generous, and it's rare (in fact can't remember a day) when we didn't catch a full bag limit, never using live bait.

EJ