Z-man scented shrimp VS Gulp

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

2Salty

Re: Z-man scented shrimp VS Gulp

Post by 2Salty »

EddieJoe wrote:Yeah, ok. Sounds just like the Flats Class show done down in the marsh. "C.A. , I always put on the Pro-Cure for that edge". Product placement is rampant on fishing shows and everyone is selling their sponsors products, and I get that. But, I find it useless.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Have fished artificial lures w/ and w/o Pro-Cure. Over time no discernable significant difference to me. And Pro-Cure (greasy, oily) doesn't easily wash off artificial lures. Pro-Cure WILL discolor some plastic artificial lures.

Artificial lures cost money. Artificial lures + Pro-Cure cost MORE money. What's the point? Buy a cast net (one time fixed cost take care of the net it should last a long time), learn to throw it then gather and fish with natural cut or live baits.

Artificial baits/lures 'die-hards" who "look down their noses" at others who fish with natural cut/live baits just crack me up. They pay what, $5+/lure or $6/pkg. for soft plastics, then maybe also douse them with artificial $$ attractant?

Closely examine a bottle of Pro-Cure looking for its "expiration date" (good luck because you won't find any "expiration date"). Want a good laugh? Telephone Pro-Cure to ask them, "How long is this stuff in the bottle good for"? Then listen to Pro-Cure muddle their way through an undefinitive and uninformative reply. Funnier yet, telephone Pro-Cure more than once a few days apart asking the same question...when I did I got very different answers to the same question.

C'mon, seriously...fresh cut blue crab vs. Pro-Cure's blue crab "tooth paste"? Live finger mullet or fresh cut, oily mullet vs. Pro-Cure's mullet "tooth paste"? A fresh shrimp, partial or whole vs. Pro-Cure's shrimp "tooth paste" - smothered on an artificial shrimp? Catch a Ladyfish then dice it up for bait - or use Pro-Cure?
Bubba_1122

Post by Bubba_1122 »

Get Pro Cure on your boat and try to get it off. Mighty difficult.

I can't tell a difference with or without as far as fish catching goes.

Don't plan on letting the junk in my boat again.

I've wondered if garlic or anise oil based scent works with saltwater fish (I use bass fishing).
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

2Salty wrote:
EddieJoe wrote:Yeah, ok. Sounds just like the Flats Class show done down in the marsh. "C.A. , I always put on the Pro-Cure for that edge". Product placement is rampant on fishing shows and everyone is selling their sponsors products, and I get that. But, I find it useless.

EJ

Have fished artificial lures w/ and w/o Pro-Cure. Over time no discernable significant difference to me. And Pro-Cure (greasy, oily) doesn't easily wash off artificial lures. Pro-Cure WILL discolor some plastic artificial lures.

Artificial lures cost money. Artificial lures + Pro-Cure cost MORE money. What's the point? Buy a cast net (one time fixed cost take care of the net it should last a long time), learn to throw it then gather and fish with natural cut or live baits.

Artificial baits/lures 'die-hards" who "look down their noses" at others who fish with natural cut/live baits just crack me up. They pay what, $5+/lure or $6/pkg. for soft plastics, then maybe also douse them with artificial $$ attractant?

Closely examine a bottle of Pro-Cure looking for its "expiration date" (good luck because you won't find any "expiration date"). Want a good laugh? Telephone Pro-Cure to ask them, "How long is this stuff in the bottle good for"? Then listen to Pro-Cure muddle their way through an undefinitive and uninformative reply. Funnier yet, telephone Pro-Cure more than once a few days apart asking the same question...when I did I got very different answers to the same question.

C'mon, seriously...fresh cut blue crab vs. Pro-Cure's blue crab "tooth paste"? Live finger mullet or fresh cut, oily mullet vs. Pro-Cure's mullet "tooth paste"? A fresh shrimp, partial or whole vs. Pro-Cure's shrimp "tooth paste" - smothered on an artificial shrimp? Catch a Ladyfish then dice it up for bait - or use Pro-Cure?
That's a pretty interesting thesis, and I agree with a lot of it. However, I'm not a guy that looks down at anyone based on fishing methods, since I like to use most all of them at times. Do own and use a cast net, and probably have netted and/or line caught a whole lot of live bait over many years.

But, sometimes it's either more fun or even more productive to use an artificial rather than live bait. With low bag limits such as one redfish, you can be through pretty quickly tossing a live shrimp under a dock.

There is also the matter of a skill set. A chunk of lady fish on the bottom will probably draw a redfish real easily and quickly, and if the point is fish in the box and go home that's a great method.

Now, I have learned that having the skill to place a lure just so in front of a red holding on a grassy shoreline 30' away is hard, and most people can't do it. I can, but only because someone showed me how and I have made thousands of casts trying it. And, I still fail quite often, but I have gotten fairly good at it. I enjoy being able to do that, but the guy with a popping cork and live shrimp is doing what suits him and that's fine with me too.

Money matters of course, but I have 20 rods and reels, keep a boat in dry storage, buy new tackle and electronics regularly, and burn lots of gas, so it doesn't matter enough to keep me from using Pro-Cure, if it worked. It doesn't for me.

Luck
EJ

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

There are many different ways to consistently catch inshore game fish. I prefer the challenge of fooling them with artificials and don't consider myself an elitist for doing so. I'm not a bait snob, either. If you have confidence in what you're using, then stick with it.

Full disclosure: Pro-Cure has donated tiny sample bottles of their product for the Flats Pro Seminars the last couple of years so attendees could simply try it. No money changed hands. I've bought the bottles I use at retail prices. I'm not endorsed by Pro-Cure nor will I be joining the television circuit.

While I don't always use Pro-Cure on my lures I have caught some quality fish when I have. It is made from real bait, so yes it does leave a oily trace. That's still easier to clean up afterwards than dealing with a cast net and getting grass, mud, shell, jellyfish, etc. all over the boat and dealing with a live well, IMO. I've had bottles of PC for a couple years and it hasn't soured like milk yet. By the way, unless they've changed formulas Z-Man Baits use Pro-Cure to add scent to their lures.

If others haven't seen a difference using Pro-Cure, so be it. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to make them buy it. Again, to each his own. The OP asked about scented lures and I shared my knowledge and personal experience.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

My go to bait of choice and all you need is a dip net :lol:
Attachments
dynomite.jpg
dynomite.jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

SCALAWAG wrote:My go to bait of choice and all you need is a dip net :lol:
Acceptable for "artificial only" fishing tournaments? Before you light the fuse do you add Pro-Cure?
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Pro-Cure is made from "real" bait, eh? What assurances does anyone have that Pro-Cure's Pin Fish is actually made from pin fish? Or Pro-Cure's Mullet is made from mullet? Or Pro-Cure's Blue Crab is made from blue crab?

Why do fishing tournaments that specify "artificial only" not also specify "no use of attractants on artificials and no use of artificials that incorporate attractants"?

When it comes down to the nitty-gritty those who fish with artificials, smothered or laced with attractants, aren't "fooling the fish": instead they're fooling themselves.
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

E-mail received from Pro-Cure today:

"Hello,

Keep your oils and gels stored below 70 degrees at all times. The Super Gels can last up to 10 years and the Bait Oils can last 3-5 years. This goes for opened and un-opened bottles. If you are fishing and it is warm, keep the bottles out of the direct sunlight and in a cooler. They will start to spoil above 70 degrees. Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Have a great day!

Annette Wise
Pro-Cure Bait Scents
503-363-1037
www.pro-cure.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pro-Cure "will start to spoil above 70 degrees"? In Florida? LMAO! No info on Pro-Cure Super Gels' packaging sold in Florida that states the product will start to spoil above 70 degrees.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Why do I even bother? I'm going fishing. :roll:
Last edited by silverking on March 1st, 2017, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

silverking wrote:...By the way, unless they've changed formulas Z-Man Baits use Pro-Cure to add scent to their lures.
If Pro-Cure begins to spoil above 70 degrees F wonder if that means Z-Man Baits treated wih Pro-Cure should be kept below 70 degrees F?
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

I know I try to make light of some of the post on here, but it seems that the topics are turning into a hockey throwing, pee-ing contest. This is a place where we SHOULD be able to share our outdoor adventure's, our tips and tricks and ask question's without being proven right or wrong, ridiculed or put down.
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

SCALAWAG wrote:I know I try to make light of some of the post on here, but it seems that the topics are turning into a hockey throwing, pee-ing contest. This is a place where we SHOULD be able to share our outdoor adventure's, our tips and tricks and ask question's without being proven right or wrong, ridiculed or put down.

I know It's hard, but if we all don't feed the troll, maybe he will go away. It's obvious he is only here to be an azz. Trying like crazy to get someone to go back and forth with him ( I learned that the hard way before he was banned from fs forum). He has to much time on his with NO FRIENDS to tell him he's being foolish. Sometimes we need our good buddies to tell us when we are being unreasonable, but he has none. If you add him as a "foe" and no one quotes him, then he won't get responses, and will hopefully leave. Or he could keep it up and eventually get banned from here also. Either way it will be a better place when he's gone. There have been 2 or 3 threads on fs forum (bb section) thanking the mods for banning him. It's much better now that he's gone
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Exactly S/G....now go fish !!! :smt004
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

2/28/17

Re: Scientific study of Salty Gator

A recent double blind placebo controlled retrospective study has shown that Salty Gator has been wrong every time he has ever had an internet argument. Controlled input over a broad range of internet forums and social media with a p value 0.345 was determined to prove the null hypothesis in all test subjects. Thereby conclusively showing he is a poopy head.

1) Sponsored by ProCure baits
2) Sponsored by FWC redfish survey
3) Sponsored by KMA (Kayak Motorless Anglers)

http://www.getalife.com

:smt005 ;-) :lol:
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

onefishtwofish wrote:2/28/17

Re: Scientific study of Salty Gator

A recent double blind placebo controlled retrospective study has shown that Salty Gator has been wrong every time he has ever had an internet argument. Controlled input over a broad range of internet forums and social media with a p value 0.345 was determined to prove the null hypothesis in all test subjects. Thereby conclusively showing he is a poopy head.

1) Sponsored by ProCure baits
2) Sponsored by FWC redfish survey
3) Sponsored by KMA (Kayak Motorless Anglers)

http://www.getalife.com

:smt005 ;-) :lol:
That's hilarious, Please tell me you mean 2salty, not salty gator.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven