Tides

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Tides

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Georgia has some crazy tides...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Team Jolly Mon
FishWithChris

Re: Tides

Post by FishWithChris »

A lot of the middle east coast and up experiences the same. Charleston is the same. Absolutely crazy

And we think our 3 to 4 foot swings are bad. Ha!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

I fished out of Thunderbolt near Savannah a couple of years ago, approx 10' swing I had to hold on to the rolling stair rail to get down to the floating dock going out and it was basically level when I came back in that afternoon, crazy swings. You could definitely see the tide washing over the bars when it started coming in :D
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

It just blows my mind. I never fish over there.

Team Jolly Mon
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

You want your mind REALLY blown? Check this out.

The tide differential in the Bay of Fundy in Canada is...

...are you ready for this?...

53 FEET

Not a typo.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Wow!!!!!!!!! 53 feet?? That's insane.

Team Jolly Mon
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Further north you go up the east coast, the bigger the tide swing. I've fished in Maine before and come back to the dock and nearly need a rope to get back up the ramp it was so steep.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
wishin2bfishin

Post by wishin2bfishin »

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to fish the Ga coast? The limit numbers are appealing, just wouldn't know where to go.

SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

Are you wanting to fish inshore, in the sounds or offshore and what size boat do you have. It gets a whole lot rougher on the Ga coast with less wind and you can be left high and dry in no time. I live in Douglas and have fished Brunswick and St. Mary's a lot over the years but I prefer the gulf 10 to 1. There are several public ramps in these area's and there are a few lifts in the area. From Adel the closest would probably be Crooked river state park landing, it has a dock and a jetty to block the tide current or Jekyl Island State Park landing it has a dock but nothing to block the current. There are other landings in the tidel creeks but you have to watch the tides or you might spend the night. The GON forum has a lot of info you can check out also.
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
Heath

Post by Heath »

wishin2bfishin wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on where to fish the Ga coast? The limit numbers are appealing, just wouldn't know where to go.

Try Shellmans Bluff, Its a few miles north of Darien. Its a different ballgame than fishing our gulf coast flats. Put in your boat at Fish camp. There's a lot of rivers that meet in the Sapelo Sound and each of those rivers produces some fish. I went a few times with no luck, started watching what others were doing and its all about structure. Look for falling trees, Oyster Beds and when the tides high you can get into some marsh grass that usually holds some red fish. Gulps work, live shrimp, mud minnows are what the locals swear by. I do not suggest attempting anywhere near low tide, lots of sandbars and oyster beds to hit.

Google Shellmans bluff fish camp, they post pictures on their facebook page and they are helpful to point you in a good direction.
Its not the arrow, Its the Indian...
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

I forgot to mention, you can go to the UGA Marine Extension service Sea Grant Program website and order fishing maps for the county's you want to fish. They show all the tidal creeks, river's and sounds and depth's and all boat landing's, bait and tackle shops, marina's and best tide phase's to fish.
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

wishin2bfishin wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on where to fish the Ga coast? The limit numbers are appealing, just wouldn't know where to go.

2way fish camp on the southside of Darrien or Shellman's Bluff on the northside.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
fishforfun

Post by fishforfun »

I tried the GA coast a few years after moving to Atlanta from Louisiana. I too was taken aback by the huge tides, 8-9 feet on new and full moons. This creates muddy water for inshore fishing, so not always a good thing. However, some find it helpful for fishing redfish in the grass though. Most people target the quarter moon tides for better inshore fishing.

The GA coast is beautiful and pristine. I went to Shellman Bluff, there is a motel there as well as bait and launch access. But after running aground a time or two, and never really developing the techniques I needed to consistently catch fish, I have returned to the Gulf for fishing, now at the big bend. Much happier on the Gulf, but neither compares with the redfish and trout fishery I left in Louisiana. However there is a larger variety of fish, which is fun .
hambric85

Post by hambric85 »

I fish Brunswick quite often. An 8ft tide is normal. Full moon, you can expect 9

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk