Steinhatchee Creeks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsaunders

Steinhatchee Creeks

Post by jsaunders »

I've fished out of Steinhatchee a couple of times, but never ventured up towards the creeks. I generally stay out on the flats in 3'-5' of water. How shallow of a draft does it take to get into the creeks south of Steinhatchee? Will I be able to use a trolling motor or will I need a push pole?

I'm heading down in a couple of weeks and I'd like to try to get on some redfish.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Steinhatchee Creeks

Post by MudDucker »

Depends upon the creek, but most get pretty shallow pretty quickly.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

A lot of variables in that question. Depends on boat draft, tides, wind and individual creek. You should be able to cruise in most with that skiff in your picture in a good full pool though. I'm not familiar with the creeks in the particular area you are referring but I'm sure they are similar.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

You can use a trolling motor as long as you avoid dead low tide. A push pole is a good idea in case you do get hung up. As Summer comes on and Winter fades, the low tides will not be as drastic. Be careful in the Winter especially around the full moon.

I am currently fishing the creeks and shoreline out of a 2072 Sea Ark with no problems. I have bumped the foot of the motor a couple times, but only at idle speed. Take your time getting in and out. :thumbup:
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

In a Carolina Skiff 238DLV?

I'm very familiar with the creeks s. of Steinhatchee - have been fishing them from a kayak for years.

Virtually all these creek mouths are "protected" by oyster/sand bars - and rocks (Rocky Creek). What motorized watercraft I see in these creeks are typically up to 16' - 18' aluminum (often tunnel) hulls, with or w/o flotation pods. Other than those, airboats. [That said, some commercial mullet fishermen routinely use the primitive launches on Pine Log and Sink. There's a new boat ramp built by Dixie County on Rocky Creek.]

On relatively higher water these creeks (exception Cow Creek) have some deeper navigable water - some places it's in the channels, other places it's along the edges.

The primary challenge for motorized water craft w/ conventional prop outboards is to safely enter the mouths from open water.

I have rarely, if ever, seen the likes of a Carolina Skiff 238DLV in the creeks proper s. of Steinhatchee.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Excellent information guys. Thanks. The 238dlv has an advertised 6" draft, so it can actually get into fairly skinny water. I may try to creep up towards the creeks with the trolling motor if there's a good high tide.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Dixie Dawg

Post by Dixie Dawg »

I just glanced at your boat on my phone didn't realize is was 23, that's pretty large for creeeks but still has to do more with draft. You'll have to be particular about when you try it, watch tides and avoid north winds. I'd try last 3rd of incoming and once the water turned and started pulling out good I'd head out too.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Dixie Dawg wrote:I just glanced at your boat on my phone didn't realize is was 23, that's pretty large for creeeks but still has to do more with draft. You'll have to be particular about when you try it, watch tides and avoid north winds. I'd try last 3rd of incoming and once the water turned and started pulling out good I'd head out too.
Thanks for the advice!

2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Hunt Nasty

Post by Hunt Nasty »

I would highly advise you start out by fishing the creeks north of the river... less rocks and less chance for you to damage your boat. Plenty of redfish up that way too. Dallus creek is easy to slip into on a rising tide in a skiff.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Be sure to go in on a rising tide, not a falling one. I've seen ol' boys sit for many an hour waiting on the tide to lift them out of the mud!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Hunt Nasty wrote:I would highly advise you start out by fishing the creeks north of the river... less rocks and less chance for you to damage your boat. Plenty of redfish up that way too. Dallus creek is easy to slip into on a rising tide in a skiff.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

Hunt Nasty wrote:I would highly advise you start out by fishing the creeks north of the river... less rocks and less chance for you to damage your boat. Plenty of redfish up that way too. Dallus creek is easy to slip into on a rising tide in a skiff.
Agree 100% that creeks north of the Steinhatchee River have less rocks with less risk of damaging a boat, lower unit, etc.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

I'll definitely try the creeks north of the river, but I won't be using my outboard. I have a 36v 112lb thrust Minn Kota iPilot trolling motor once I get close to the creek.

2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Make sure your boat insurance is paid up before going south even on the flats...
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
2Salty

Post by 2Salty »

For what it’s worth…

March is usually a transition month as fish move onto the flats and redfish begin to wake up from the cold, but this weather has everyone confused. The trout are already on the flats in 3 to 5 feet of water. Areas around Rocky Creek and the flats west of Pepperfish have yielded some fine trout catches, as have the cuts and flats outside of Dallus Creek. Fish slow-sinking lures such as the Live Target sardine or the Mirrodine XL series, or the Paul Brown Lure Devil. Popping corks with Gulp shrimp will begin to produce some nice fish. When the water is cold, fish these rigs very slowly.

The redfish have been exactly where they should be…around inshore rocks and creek oyster beds. Areas behind Big Grass Island, Hardy Point, Tater Island and Drum Point have been holding some nice upper- and over-slot redfish. The same suspending lures for trout will work well for redfish, along with slow-working gold spoons. Live shrimp fished around oyster bars in and outside of creeks is usually very productive.

http://seahag.com/february-2017-fishing ... -forecast/

[Dallus Creek and Big Grass Island are n. of Steinhatchee River. Rocky Creek, Pepperfish Keys, Hardy Point, Tater Island and Drum Point are s. of Steinhatchee River. All locations can be found on Google Earth.]