Where should I fish?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Where should I fish?

Post by procraftwes »

I've been fishing St. Marks for years and do best there but been getting the itch to try some new fishing grounds. Local spots i've fished with limited success.. Ochlockonee bay(kept my boat at rock landing) and Lanark area.

Suggestions to the East?
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Where should I fish?

Post by DixieReb »

I'd probably try Econfina. You can fish back to the right of the mouth toward Aucilla or turn left and fish down towards Rock Island. Some good fishing, either way.
Yours in the South
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

DixieReb wrote:I'd probably try Econfina. You can fish back to the right of the mouth toward Aucilla or turn left and fish down towards Rock Island. Some good fishing, either way.
I agree with Reb. :thumbup: But be aware of the ROCKS/BARS as they are everywhere down that way, that's the reason the fishing is really good. Good luck!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

It might help to study a good topo map of that coast and find where the really shallow areas are at low tide. If your depthfinder has topo, watch the shallow spots and try to stay in deeper water. In the river there is a rock just past the no-wake zone, swing to the right and you should miss it. Watch for floating trees, there were some leftover from the last hurricane. Good luck with the fishing.
Yours in the South
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

DixieReb wrote:It might help to study a good topo map of that coast and find where the really shallow areas are at low tide. If your depthfinder has topo, watch the shallow spots and try to stay in deeper water. In the river there is a rock just past the no-wake zone, swing to the right and you should miss it. Watch for floating trees, there were some leftover from the last hurricane. Good luck with the fishing.
I have a chartplotter loaded with current sonarcharts but will be careful.

TOWboat up to date and if there's carnage i'll at least have my gopro :-D . I'm heading out in a few and will update.

I don't shy away from scrapes through.

Beach this tough sucker on rocks all the time.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Rough start to the day after repacking my bearings and watching my bearing buddy go flying down Apalachee.

Got on the water about 3 and fished until 615.

Started at the mouth and was getting hits but missed a few on the popping cork(getting set up).

Got sketched out by the rocks so headed about a mile out of the mouth for clear water and picked up a keeper trout right away(tossed back/16.5") and missed alot of hits(don't know what was up with me today/probably the trailer issues). Fished hard but couldn't get anymore trout before the tide died down. Caught a couple rock bass too.

I haven't chased reds in a long time but picked up a Catch 2000 after reading the recent thread here. Went about 200yds due east of the mouth and worked the grass a few times and came up with my first slot red(barely/18 on the nose) in a long time. Tossed everything back because I didn't feel like filleting fish today.

All in all great day but think i'll stick to st marks. Closer and feels like home if some of you guys know what I mean.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Awesome to hear! Sometimes just getting out there and exploring is as much fun as hardcore chasing fish... the few bites here or there are just icing on the cake.

Wait until you see a negative tide out there... GOOD TIMES! :smt005 :smt005
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

That shallow water at Econfina is enough to make anybody skittish, I have to watch myself every time I fish there. When you get out far enough, you can run OK.
Yours in the South
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

Aucilla is GREAT but sometimes not so great at low tide. Hit a rock and your day will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I think i'll stick to St marks.

Went fishing yesterday too and cleaned up. The bite was on fire!

Probably even more on fire @ Econfina but i'll take it.
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

There's a time for fishing what you know best and a time for just up and doing the opposite. They're both fun for different reasons. Either of the 2 in to many doses at once gives you the itch to do the other.