Kingfish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

OleFish

Kingfish

Post by OleFish »

Looking to mostly target kings in the upcoming months... what are the best depths/locations to slow troll? Would I have luck out at S Tower or Yamaha reef?
fishdux

Re: Kingfish

Post by fishdux »

Where are you leaving out of? My opinion is you dont have to go near that far out to catch nice kings. We slow troll in anywhere from 25 to 45 feet out of St Marks with great results. Wakulla Oar Reef is a good place also.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Add my vote to what fishdux said... regularly catch them in depths between 20 and 30 feet, though more often on stinger rigs under a float than trolling. I just don't have the patience to deal with grass constantly fouling lures being trolled.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

All good advice. 20+' and stinger rig under a cork. I like to just drift with a pin fish or grunt about 6' under the cork. Suggest you go to Bass Pro and buy some "hook weights". Smaller than the small shot weights and you can use just enough to weight to keep your bait down.
randymullaly

Post by randymullaly »

All good advice. 20+' and stinger rig under a cork. I like to just drift with a pin fish or grunt about 6' under the cork. Suggest you go to Bass Pro and buy some "hook weights". Smaller than the small shot weights and you can use just enough to weight to keep your bait down.
OleFish

Post by OleFish »

Will be leaving out of Carrabelle