Sibiki Rig St Marks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JWCAMILLA

Sibiki Rig St Marks

Post by JWCAMILLA »

Where is the the best place to catch some pins with a Sibiki rig at St Marks? In the river channel or just right off of it or on the flats??? I've always used artificial baits but would like to start using some live if I can catch any.
"KEEP ON KEEPING ON"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Sibiki Rig St Marks

Post by Salty Gator »

Flats. Find good grass in 4-10' with as clear water as you can find. Tip hooks w fresh ( not old) gulp or squid pieces. If your not getting bites on every drop, move. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
mattally

Post by mattally »

Don't want to anchor up in the river channel. Boat traffic going to eat your lunch :o
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

mattally wrote:Don't want to anchor up in the river channel. Boat traffic going to eat your lunch :o
Absolutely, no fishing in the channel. Illegal and dumb
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

What they said. I shorten the sabiki up to only two hooks for pins on the flats. Lot less tangles and they usually bite the bottom hooks anyway.
JWCAMILLA

Post by JWCAMILLA »

Salty Gator wrote:
mattally wrote:Don't want to anchor up in the river channel. Boat traffic going to eat your lunch :o
That's what I thought. We were there 3 weekends ago and there was a boat between the lighthouse and the birdrack anchored right off the channel, casting into the channel. We were on the way out so this was about 7 p/m. Even then, the traffic was rough and I though he was stupid.

Thanks for the info. We may sneak down this weekend if I can talk the boss lady into it. It is Mother's day and I'll have to do what she wants to do this weekend. LOL.
"KEEP ON KEEPING ON"
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

My son will catch them on a small bream rig all day. He tips the hook with gulp. The only problem is that I find the ones he catches a little too large to use for bait.

I'm talking about fishing for trout.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Ive tried cast net and sabikis but the best way I've found is with a cane pole (what you southerners call a "bream buster" :wink: ).
Hit the grass flats pretty much anywhere and you will fill your live well in 20 minutes or less. Tip the hook with gulp and the little buggers won't be able to clean you out.
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
xXLoneBowmanXx

Post by xXLoneBowmanXx »

Salty Gator wrote:
I've always been curious about the rules on channel fishing. I don't do it because it seemed unsafe (and I'm prone to bad things happening, so no need to tempt fate).
NOAA reports are the reason I have trust issues.
bbb

Post by bbb »

xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
I've always been curious about the rules on channel fishing. I don't do it because it seemed unsafe (and I'm prone to bad things happening, so no need to tempt fate).
Not sure its "illegal" to fish in the channel, but I did find this.

"Except in the event of an emergency, it is unlawful for any person to anchor or operate a vessel in a manner that will unreasonably interfere with the navigation of other vessels."
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

So, whats the difference between illegal and unlawful ?
bbb

Sibiki Rig St Marks

Post by bbb »

It says its illegal/unlawful if you are unreasonably interfering with navigation. Sitting off to the side, just inside the marker is not unreasonable.

The channel is very wide at spots and its very narrow in spots. Use discretion.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I guess I misspoke. I don't think it's illegal to fish a channel. Illegal to anchor in the channel. Ok to anchor outside the channel and fish it

it is illegal to anchor within a marked channel and it is also against the law to tie up to bridge fender
Last edited by Salty Gator on May 11th, 2017, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:Ive tried cast net and sabikis but the best way I've found is with a cane pole (what you southerners call a "bream buster" :wink: ).
Hit the grass flats pretty much anywhere and you will fill your live well in 20 minutes or less. Tip the hook with gulp and the little buggers won't be able to clean you out.
Southerners call a cane pole a cane pole. We call a bream buster a bream buster. There is a difference :wink:
JWCAMILLA

Post by JWCAMILLA »

Salty Gator wrote:
xXLoneBowmanXx wrote:Ive tried cast net and sabikis but the best way I've found is with a cane pole (what you southerners call a "bream buster" :wink: ).
Southerners call a cane pole a cane pole. We call a bream buster a bream buster. There is a difference :wink:
Cane poles are either the "real wood" pole or the "fiberglass" extendable poles. Bream busters are small rods about 4 ft long with a small zebco reel. We use them to cast small beetlespins and rooster tail lures on the Flint. LOL.
"KEEP ON KEEPING ON"