Sale on Gulp baits

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

spoton
Site Sponsor

Sale on Gulp baits

Post by spoton »

Was in Dick's Sporting Goods in Tallahassee yesterday and they have Gulp packs on sale 4 for $20 this week only, and with a $10 rebate Gulp has going if you buy 4 packs net cost is $2.50 a pack. They had a pretty good selection of the most popular colors.
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Sale on Gulp baits

Post by ugadawg »

I get mine on Amazon.com. You have to watch for the sales, but you can get them for around $3 a pack sometimes.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Have you guys noticed any difference in the quality of GULP in their newest packs?

My son and I have noticed if you buy the newer Jerk Shad packs with the white background, the baits seem much softer and do not last long before they tear off the hook. It has caused me to begin using other brands.
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

Steve Stinson wrote:Have you guys noticed any difference in the quality of GULP in their newest packs?

My son and I have noticed if you buy the newer Jerk Shad packs with the white background, the baits seem much softer and do not last long before they tear off the hook. It has caused me to begin using other brands.
yes , i have started to use other brands also
it started out with one color then it has been shown up in other colors
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Steve Stinson wrote:Have you guys noticed any difference in the quality of GULP in their newest packs?

I am with you on that Steve, Will and I have noticed the same thing. When they first came out they were tough and if you left them on just a little to long you had to cut them off the hook. Some of the last ones we had in St. Joe a few cast and they would come off the hook.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Get 'em while you can. Those poor catfish, pinfish and puffers are starving. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

I agree with you Silver, the cats and pins do love them, but so do the trout. I've had days where they would not touch a DOA or whatever else I had but I could save the day with a new penny Gulp. I don't always use them, but I always like to have some along.

Steve, I noticed also the softer formulation of the ones sold in in the lighter colored packaging. Most of the stock I saw in Dick's yesterday appeared to be the older style packaging, which could also mean that it is older inventory they are trying to move.

The point of my post is, if you want some Gulps, here are some for cheaper.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I should have stock in Berkley Tackle for all the gulp I have. I have just about any color except rootbeer and watermelon. And no, I don't like the new gulps as well. They tear up much too easy, you'd think as much as they cost they could at least make them more durable. Job security, I guess! :wink:
Yours in the South
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

I actually called Berkley this morning and posted a complaint with them. I explained what we are experiencing with the baits tearing off the hooks. I also gave her info to the BBF so they could read the comments posted. Might work, might not. We will see. She did say they took every call seriously.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Gulp is another tool in the tool box.

I have had days where they were outfished 3-1 and days they were the ticket. We usually start with all different lures and try to establish a pattern. Had one day on Choctawhatchee Bay where my daughter and I were catching the heck out of blues and trout on some old blue and gold swimming type plastics grubs on a jig I had in my box. We had thrown everything at them and when we started catching we wore them out until we ran out of those old grubs in the bottom of my box! Probably lucky we ran out when we did as we barely made it back to the ramp before the fast moving summer storm caught us.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Thanks for the heads up! Guess I'll ride over to Dick's and see if the sale is at the Dothan store too. I do like gulps but like mentioned, I hate the newer soft ones and I refuse to pay $7 for six fake shrimp that won't last for more than a couple of hits but I still keep them in the inventory and I've added anther row since this pic.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Now that is some serious personal tackle inventory there, Juan!

How big is your tackle box? :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That is some serious inventory. But the chum churn looks better in my mud room. Love that thing
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Juan must not have any kids that like to fish. I have to hide all of my extra stuff to keep Andrew from hoarding it. :-D
Not to mention you never want your wife asking how much all that costs...
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Juan wrote:Thanks for the heads up! Guess I'll ride over to Dick's and see if the sale is at the Dothan store too. I do like gulps but like mentioned, I hate the newer soft ones and I refuse to pay $7 for six fake shrimp that won't last for more than a couple of hits but I still keep them in the inventory and I've added anther row since this pic.
Juan, That looks like how Johnny Morris got his start selling bait off a small peg board in his dad's liquor store. Nice setup.