Cape San Blas/ST. Joe info needed

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

flatsbroke22

Cape San Blas/ST. Joe info needed

Post by flatsbroke22 »

I will be staying a SGI this weekend but with the predicted wind forecast out of the SW I was thinking about trailering the boat to CSB for calmer waters and hopefully cleaner water. I was at SGI last weekend and got blown around and the water there had turned to chocolate milk. I've never fished St. Joe bay before. I see there is a public ramp in the state park. Are there any issuses I need to be aware of? Any fishing info would also be appreciated. Thanks
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Re: Cape San Blas/ST. Joe info needed

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Check the when the state park opens. I know I've tried to launch there before early in the morning and the gates were down, I had to wait for someone to come along who had the gate code.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Eagle Harbor in the State Park has a ramp. Unless you have an annual pass and the code, then it opens later than I would prefer to start fishing. The city ramp and Presnells both open earlier. Not much hard to hit, but there are some shallow sand areas. Have fun.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

There's a $10 launch fee at Presnells but it's worth it. Good ramp with plenty of parking across the street and they will pick you up from the parking lot and take you back to your truck when you're ready to leave.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Thanks for the info. FWC cite doesn't mention any of that. Says $4 fee open at 8 am but it also says Presnells fee is $6. Figures the site would misslead you :smt011
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

State Park opens at 8 and there is an $11 charge if you have a boat with you. As mentioned already Presnells has a nice new ramp and there is a $10 charge. If you are going to fish the west side launch at the SP. East side launch at Presnells. If it windy at SGI it will be windy at SJB but blowing a different angle since it runs north and south. Water will be cleaner. If you have any tag alongs who rather go to the beach the SP offers that and they will be entertained while you fish.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

The reason I was wanting to launch at the SP was because of the SW wind prediction. I figured I could stay on the west side tucked in on the lee side.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

The SP will be the best with that wind. We did the same a couple of weeks ago and it helped us out. We actually crossed to the East side first but it was not much visibility so we came back to the west and it was much better.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

NOAA is only calling for 5-10 this weekend so unless they are wrong :-D the wind shouldn't be much of an issue wherever you decide to launch.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

And with a sw wind, the bay side of the island should be well protected
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

The wind is not the main issue. Unless the bay has cleared up since Sunday, cleaner water is what I'm really after. Also I didn't have much luck last weekend and I fished all over the place. My plan is to go offshore but the forecast doesn't look good for that. Hopefully that will change too. I just want St.Joe to be an option if I need it and don't want to go in it blind.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

That area got another frog strangler today. It might clear up some before the weekend but if I were going, I think I'd plan on fishing SJB. Unlike other places, it's somewhat protected and other than the ICW, there aren't any rivers or creeks running into SJB to muddy it up like other places.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/