trim fluid question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ragansm1

trim fluid question

Post by ragansm1 »

Can transmission fluid for cars be used for trim tab fluids on boats. I was told it could and worked better.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: trim fluid question

Post by Juan »

Yes, Any brand automatic transmission fluid will work in trim tabs. (I think that's what's recommended for Bennett tabs any way.) It works as a replacement for steering fluid too. I've been using it mine for years.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Sometimes the petroleum based fluids can shorten the life of rubber gaskets in marine applications. Same thing goes for hydraulic steering fluid. You can get away with it in emergency but per the manufacturers, not recommended. Of course, some people use it with no problems, but why risk it.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Don't mean to start this debate again and I'm sure someone sells a fluid that costs 4 times as much and is labeled "for marine use" but from my experience automotive transmission fluid is fine. It's debatable but with a very few exceptions the gaskets and seals used in marine applications are made of the exact same materials used in the automotive industry and as long as the viscosity is the same as the fluid you are replacing, it works as well as any other.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

I rad a little quick, thought op was speaking of trim/tilt on outboard, I dont have bennet tabs anymore, but if I remember correctly you are supposed to use atF fluid according to what I remember. I was thinking tilt/trim on the outboard.