Keaton 6/4

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Heath

Keaton 6/4

Post by Heath »

Took the boat and two friends to Keaton Yesterday. We were on the water at 7, planning to fish just the incoming tide that morning. We had shrimp and pin fish in the live well and headed north towards spring warrior. We started out in 5-6 feet of water. Caught a few shorts and a couple keeper rock bass. Then after an hour of catching shorts we decided to try deeper. Started drifting in deeper water and the keepers started coming. Highlight of day were a pair a 23 inch and 24 inch trout. Largest I've ever caught at Keaton. Drift was unusual no matter the tide we were drifting parallel with the land moving north. ended the day with 11 Good trout all between 17-20 inches besides the two big boys and we kept 6 13" to 15" inch rock bass. Also caught a 3 foot black tip. We were back at ramp loading boat up at 1:00 Overall a great day, there was only 4 or 5 boats we saw the whole day.

We did have a 8-9 foot tiger shark cruise right beside the boat down towards rock island. He stuck around us for a little while. I pulled in the pin fish we had under a cork because he was circling it and I didn't wanna lose a full spool of line.

Question, We had this happen on two short trout. They swallowed the lure and by the time we got the hook out and I placed them in the water they were dead and just floated. I couldn't find any rules on what to do if that happens, i guess just let the fish float away? not worth a ticket in my opinion but I hate to see the fish float away for some shark to eat.
Its not the arrow, Its the Indian...
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton 6/4

Post by DixieReb »

Let the fish float away, they will still burn your azz if they catch you with a small trout. I know the feeling, it seems like a waste, but they'd rather see it as crab bait than you keeping it. BTW, that was a great catch on the keepers. They will more likely stay out in deeper water now until fall.
Yours in the South
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

If they are gut hooked, cut the line as close to the hook as you can. The hook will rust out quickly. Sometimes removing the hook causes irreparable damage. Thanks for the report
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Heath

Post by Heath »

DixieReb wrote:Let the fish float away, they will still burn your azz if they catch you with a small trout. I know the feeling, it seems like a waste, but they'd rather see it as crab bait than you keeping it. BTW, that was a great catch on the keepers. They will more likely stay out in deeper water now until fall.

Yeah I was thinking that. I've just never had that happen, usually the shorts are clean lip hooked. and thanks, that's the two biggest I've ever caught at Keaton. We have noticed A lot more shark in the area this year than I've seen before.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice day Heath. Congrats on the two big girls. Most trout over 20 inches are females and future spawners.

SG is on the mark. Cut the leaders as close as possible. The hot water now doesn't help matters, but a quick hook set will help cut down on gut hooking. Released/undersized fish will often float near the surface as they recover from the fight and regain strength. Sometimes just a slight touch with the rod tip will be enough to stimulate them to right themselves and swim off. I've caught several big ones in very shallow clear water and watched as they hunkered down on the bottom in the grass after release. They'll stay there for several minutes before finally swimming off.

I've had discussions with fisheries managers over the years and there is an argument to be made for a reduced trout bag limit regardless of size so the fish aren't wasted. But under the current rules, undersized must be released and if they do die, at least they serve as food for other critters like sharks, osprey, crabs, etc.

And the sharks are showing up just in time for scallop season. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Watch out for those tiger sharks. I just about peed my pants as one cruised within a few feet of me while I was wadefishing last year, just to let me know he was king of the creek. I hightailed it to the bank. We may have bigger brains, but they sure seem to know that they outrank us as apex predators.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Shark news must have had a report about the early scallop season, he/she was just scouting for the season opener... :-D
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

GaryDroze wrote:Watch out for those tiger sharks. I just about peed my pants as one cruised within a few feet of me while I was wadefishing last year, just to let me know he was king of the creek. I hightailed it to the bank. We may have bigger brains, but they sure seem to know that they outrank us as apex predators.
Yikes. That is the reason I can't get real fired up about wade or spear fishing. I've had enough sharks take or try to take fish at the boat, I know they wouldn't target me but I'd rather not have fingers and toes in the mix without a buffer. Scalloping doesn't bother me because I don't have the distressed fish attractant factor.
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

About three weeks ago we had a 7-8 footer come right by the boat. It's always been a good area to catch a lot of shark, but I agree there seems to be more sharks, maybe more big ones. I'll have to make sure we stay closer to the scallop flotilla, not wander to far away this year. I hate it when people clean the scallops right there in the group. Yeah let's chum a little.
Will In The Wild

Post by Will In The Wild »

I am not sure what kind of shark it was, but the last time we were at KB there was a 7-8 foot shark right next to the first channel marker coming out of the canal. Was the first time I had ever seen a shark of that size in KB. Made me very excited to go scalloping in a couple of weeks.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Will In The Wild wrote:I am not sure what kind of shark it was, but the last time we were at KB there was a 7-8 foot shark right next to the first channel marker coming out of the canal. Was the first time I had ever seen a shark of that size in KB. Made me very excited to go scalloping in a couple of weeks.
I few years ago I was standing on the pier watching a huge bull shark destroy what I assume were sting rays not far off the jetty. It was probably 3-4' of water a some violent thrashing caught my attention, the shark was thrashing with his tail sticking straight up in the air, this happened about 3-4 times and I assumed he was pinning stingrays to the bottom. Anyway this was a big shark feeding about 100yds away from people swimming and no one seemed to notice.
Heath

Post by Heath »

Its just seems to be an increase this year in the amount ive seen. But, Its their natural habitat we are just guest.
Little grasshopper

Post by Little grasshopper »

Me and the wife was at Keaton once out in front of Yates creek . We started seeing a shark here and there and were only catching short rock bass so I made up a cut bait rig from some lady chunks and within minutes had a 5ft one on and boat side. Then we noticed maybe 8 more circling. I quickly dehooked that one while my wife was saying nasty things to me.

Then she just wanted to watch them for a bit. It was 3 weeks till scallop season then and I'm surprised she got in the water when we returned 3 weeks later.

I have that spot marked on my gps.......as "sharks". Lol.

I've only seen maybe 3 this year so far. But the water has been darker this year seems like.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

With the lack of rain, the inshore salinity level rises and the sharks and rays move in. Now that we are having rain, I suspect you won't see many other than bulls up close. However, every time you jump out of the boat into the ocean, you are no longer the apex predator. Beware.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

MudDucker wrote:With the lack of rain, the inshore salinity level rises and the sharks and rays move in. Now that we are having rain, I suspect you won't see many other than bulls up close. However, every time you jump out of the boat into the ocean, you are no longer the apex predator. Beware.
Just so long as it's only bulls. :-D