Fair Deal on a 1720 Key West 90 Yamaha?

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CalGarretson

Fair Deal on a 1720 Key West 90 Yamaha?

Post by CalGarretson »

I am looking at a 2001 1720 that appears to be in really good condition. It has a 90 Yamaha with 208 hours on it. Comes with GPS, Trolling motor and a few other accessories. I will take the engine in for a compression test, take out for a good long test drive, are there any other key areas you look at when buying a new to you boat?

Seller is asking $7,500

Appreciate any advice you may be able to pass along my way.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Fair Deal on a 1720 Key West 90 Yamaha?

Post by DixieReb »

It sounds like a good deal. I would make sure the trailer is in good shape and doesn't need new tires any time soon. Also that the floor in the boat is sound. :wink:
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Decent price-point boat. The hours are low on an outboard of that age. If the compression checks out, inspect the fuel tank for possible pinholes/leaks, the fuel line for deterioration and other evidence of ethanol damage. If the trailer, floor and transom are sound, you'll be getting a good deal.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

silverking wrote:inspect the fuel tank for possible pinholes/leaks, the fuel line for deterioration and other evidence of ethanol damage.
Good advice as usual from SK. The older KW's have aluminum gas tanks and can develop small leaks over time. Gas in the bilge is a sure sign of a leaking tank.

If you pass on it, let me know. I may want to take a look. :-D
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

If you need any model specific info you can click over to http://www.keywestboatsforum.com/ its a very good group and the Key West Boat Plant Manager (Tom Marlowe) is a regular on the forum. Tom's son is also on the forum and he owns a 1720. Most common questions I see related to used KWBs of any type are when they changed over to wood free construction and then performance with various engines. The 1720 seems to be a very popular boat on the forum with several really good make over and repair posts.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150