Flats electronics

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rbmcrae

Flats electronics

Post by Rbmcrae »

I am about to buy a new fish finder for our pathfinder 20. We mainly fish < 8 feet for trout and reds. I was wondering what suggestions everyone would have. I have had basic lowrances in past but am thinking of going either with the lowrance 5-ti or hummingbird helix 5 chirp SI. Recommendations outside of these definitely welcome too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Flats electronics

Post by silverking »

Budget, mounting considerations and color vs. gray scale would be helpful factors for recommendations. I like Garmin myself, but units can range from $350 up to $1,600.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Rbmcrae

Post by Rbmcrae »

Would like to be between 500-1000 all in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

If your only fishing <8' I don't think chirp or any other "fish finding" feature will benefit you. Sounds like you need a unit with a good gps and death finder. For inshore I like Lowrance HDS with a Plantinum plus card that gives you a Google earth view. It will show you oyster bars/sand bars and small channels for navigating shallow water. I also have structure scan as I also venture offshore when the weather allows but don't help much in water depths your fishing. You didn't mention screen size which will cost as you get bigger. I run a HDS Gen 2 12" screen. Love the big screen!. It will spoil you. I found it used for 1k.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
NFGFC

Post by NFGFC »

We will have a national sales rep for Lowrance at our club meeting next Thursday night, he will have several demo units there and will be speaking about the new products, and answering any questions you may have.

Just FYI I just put a Elite 9ti on my boat and it's in the price range your talking about.....the platinum + chip is a nice edition to the Elite 9ti
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Garmin Stryker 7SV under $450
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
HookemBookem1

Post by HookemBookem1 »

I would go with the 7ti instead of the 5ti if it can be afforded the screen on the 5 is just to small to work the touch screen without issue

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

I just purchased a Simrad GO7xse with transducer for $649.00 from Wakezone marine (Ebay) this included free shipping, so far I like it. Lowrance and Simrad are owned by the same company. I had the Lowrance HDI on my other boat and I liked it as well.
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
HammerDown

Post by HammerDown »

My son and I are using a Garmin 74DV. Good unit that we caught on sale from West Marine. It does everything that we want - water temp, depth and GPS. One thing I don't like is the transducer is the size of an adult tennis shoe and looks a bit odd on a 16" CS. Also, when you are running WOT there is a bit of a spray that is annoying. Found out there is a plate that is available for purchase to remedy this spray. Hmmm! Wonder why they didn't........never mind! Tight Lines everyone! :D
bbb

Post by bbb »

I had both the Helix 5si and the Helix 9si on my last boat.

Don't get a Helix 5 for its side imaging capabilities. Too small to see anything on it.

The helix 9 with the HD transducer(not mega) produced these images just outside the boat basin in Bainbridge going out the channel.

This unit with the upgraded transducer is about $900 online.

If you want to find underwater structure, the side image is great.

craSSh

Post by craSSh »

Prolly more than you need but I just put a Garmin 74sv on my Pathfinder last month. I replace a dated Garmin 498(?) that was on the boat when I bought it. The 74sv has side imaging and built in map of the coast. Not sure if you need side imaging or not but it's pretty neat. I haven't had it off shore yet just on the flats. There are different transducers you can choose from ranging in size and ability. If you buy a combo from a store (West Marine, Bass Pro, GPS store, etc) it comes with the normal transducer and is usually long...9". I chose the best transducer available based on the type of fishing I do (inshore and offshore) CHIRP capability and it's only 6". It cost more but I didn't want the 9" hanging off the back of my boat. So many good choices to choose from. I find Garmin is pretty easy to use. Good luck. Let us know what you go with...