West Bay

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

West Bay

Post by onefishtwofish »

Fishing has been tough over here to say the least. One lady fish yesterday. No activity at all. Can only fish in the afternoons.

Went out today and hit some more spots. No joy. We are heading across the bay. See birds diving and get excited. So we make a big loop and drift back into them excited to see what is feeding on the bait. I make my first cast and get broken off on the bite. Re rig and hook up on a hard fighting fish on the next cast. Nephew hooks up at the same time. Water is dark and we get them both to the boat and they are SAILCATS. Wth? We unzip them and cast again thinking surely they were bycatch. Ummm, nope. We got
On schooling sailcats. We just refused to believe that was what it was and had to make a few more runs at the birds and bait. Caught about 5 more apiece before we were believers. Nothing but cats. Never had that happen before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: West Bay

Post by DixieReb »

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! The bigger sailcats fillet out good and are tasty, had some last night. :lick:
Yours in the South
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

We had a similar thing happen a couple weeks ago but they were blowing up on topwaters! They were in a crazy frenzy.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Had the same thing happen in PC's East Bay several times... Never kept or eaten one but it's fun catching them... Not so much fun wiping the snot off your line though. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I once threw a cast net on a school of mullet that turned out to be a school of sail cats. I must've had to pick 30 out of the net :(
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

red_yakker wrote:I once threw a cast net on a school of mullet that turned out to be a school of sail cats. I must've had to pick 30 out of the net :(
Could only imagine. Slime for days!!