Trailer question?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

randymullaly

Trailer question?

Post by randymullaly »

Just got a new (new to me) 21 Pro Line Sport on a tandem trailer. Pulling it with a GMC Sierra 1500. The trailer is a 2005 (same as the boat and motor). Boat originally came with surge brakes and have sense been removed. Does it make sense to put brakes on the trailer? If so, whats best? Electric or surge? Any concerns
about salt water and the calipers locking up? Grateful for any advice.
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Re: Trailer question?

Post by turtlecat »

I had a 22' bayboat w a 225 Honda. The fuel cell was 100gal and it had 4 batteries. This was a heavy boat, I called it a bayboat on steroids. Anyway, it didn't have surge brakes and i never felt as if it needed them. I pulled it w a 02 f150. In the same amount of time i owned this boat (7yrs), my buddy had to have his trailer brakes reworked 3 times. But this is a topic that will be 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
TurtleCat
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Legally? Yes(probably over the limit).

Reality? No. Trailer brakes do nothing but fail.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

procraftwes wrote:Legally? Yes(probably over the limit).

Reality? No. Trailer brakes do nothing but fail.

Well put!

They were removed for a good reason.

I've had them on a couple trailers and had to take them off. They will not last long or function correctly if your dipping them in salt water on a regular basis no matter how much you maintain them. Even the stainless ones are no good. Unless you carry around a portable car wash and clean them right after you unload your boat don't bother with them. I've never had any trouble stopping and I've been in some hairy situations.
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

You are legally required to have them, and not having them can get you a fine or worse in an accidental.

But, they do fail often, especially cheap ones and electric.

The best is EOH (electric over hydraulic) but probably over kill for a trailer your size.

Worst is drum brakes and electric brakes.

Best, what I have is surge with stainless steel calipers, flexible lines and coated rotors. Actually best would be SS rotors but too pricey for me. Mine have now worked fine for about three seasons. The drums I had before never worked well or long.

Mine is a 2002 tandem axle trailer with a 22' Bay boat, I installed brakes on both axles using Kodiak brakes.

And the comparison before and after the new brakes was pronounced on my Ram 1500 crew. It did ok without them but you definitely can tell they are working now and I feel much safer in case of an emergency situation.