Hear about the new cobia size?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

EddieJoe

Re: Hear about the new cobia size?

Post by EddieJoe »

silverking wrote:My philosophy is always to err on the side of the resource. I have personally testified a couple times before the FWC that cobia should be game fish only (No sale). But that fell on deaf ears. That said, I fully realize politics is involved in the process (as with virtually anything in life). The increase in size does seem like a big jump. Like others have pointed out, I'd let the commissioners know your feelings before the FINAL public hearing in September and try to attend that if possible.

The Destin/Pensacola charter boats are hammering the stocks and under the current regs will keep six legal fish for a six-pack charter.When the run is on, private boats are out there in force as well. It's a boat parade, literally. I've seen stepladders strapped to center consoles to gain better height advantage for spotting cruising fish. But they aren't the only offenders. Big fishery for cobes in SW Florida where they hang around the wrecks and up along the East Coast around Canaveral. Lot of effort following rays/turtles there. So this new rule does have statewide implications.
As usual, appreciate your comments, and am gratified we agree the destin 6 fish per boat limit is/was a bad idea. One fish per person, two per boat would be resource protective, individual angler or guide boat the same. As I wrote previously, in my experience around here, never have heard about anyone really slamming cobia. It's been a destin deal, and that's where the problem should be solved.
Seems like these big size/bag changes are a result of bad previous management decisions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
relicshunter

Re: Hear about the new cobia size?

Post by relicshunter »

wouldn't this size bump end up taking many more females?