New trailer

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

New trailer

Post by onefishtwofish »

My boat guy made a mistake in ordering my new trailer and I think I am actually happy about it. I had toyed with the idea of single vs double axle. I am getting a Nextrail (Seahawk) aluminum. I got the SS upgrade and the mounted spare with spindle. When I dropped the boat off today I noticed it was a double axle, instead of the single we had talked about. He apologized profusely and said he would get the right one in ASAP. Has torsion axles with Posilube. But then I started talking with him about it and told him I had thought long and hard about going with a double vs a single anyways.

Weight on single is 3500#.
My boat 1600# dry weight
Engine 431#
Fuel tank full 350#
Fully loaded with gear and wet boat, water in bait or livewell - add another 400-500

Puts me at the upper range of the weight. I decided to stick with the tandem axle for only about $750 more (after the add ons). I would rather have more than less and this trailer will handle this boat with ease.

Any real cons to the tandem axle (exact same length as single)? My only concern is backing it into to a very tight parking spot. Will this be an issue? He said it should not be much if any difference.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: New trailer

Post by Steve Stinson »

You made a good decision. I had a 2000 model Sea Pro SV-2100 that I bought new from the Tampa Boat Show. They sold it to me on a single axle trailer. After about 2 years of hauling, the tires started to wear funny and I found the axle was bent. I replaced it and it did the same thing again. This went on every couple years for the entire 8 yrs that I owned the boat.
I sold it to another member of this forum and made him aware of the trailer situation. He ran the boat for a few years, then sold it to a third party. I guess the third party did not keep up with the axle situation. It ended up breaking the axle and driving through the bottom of the boat. :thumbdown:

So today, I will not buy a boat / trailer combination where the trailer is operating near max load. Tandems are a little more maintenance because you have twice as many tires, wheels, and springs, but you are better off with the bigger trailer.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Backing it shouldn't be a problem. If it is, your trailer tires are too wide. I can't think of any cons.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

You may or may not be aware but on a tandem trailer the tires will slide not roll through a tight turn. Again, this is not a problem just go slow.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

reelbad wrote:You may or may not be aware but on a tandem trailer the tires will slide not roll through a tight turn. Again, this is not a problem just go slow.
Not really much different than the RV tandems I have been towing for years then I guess. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Cut ya a 6x6 block about 18", cut a 45 on one end, use for ramp. Dual axle and this block make changing tires ezpz.