Harvey/TX Gulf Coast

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Harvey/TX Gulf Coast

Post by silverking »

Thoughts and prayers go out to those impacted along the Texas Gulf Coast. Cat 4 tonight and a long week ahead. It's only a matter of if and not when, before a bad one heads our way.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Harvey/TX Gulf Coast

Post by MudDucker »

silverking wrote:Thoughts and prayers go out to those impacted along the Texas Gulf Coast. Cat 4 tonight and a long week ahead. It's only a matter of if and not when, before a bad one heads our way.
Amen, prayers that they evacuate to safety and find those who will help and keep them!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Disaster officials are talking months and years of recovery and the rain is still coming down. Really feel for all those affected. Here's a few shots from USA Today gallery.
636394455753631947-GTY-839916710.jpg
636393601117563682-XXX-20170826-APS-USA-133.JPG
636393601140495829-XXX-20170826-APS-USA-134.JPG
636393734402854075-AFP-AFP-RV5A7.jpg
636394455786236156-GTY-839916734.jpg
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

One Question, who will take the blame for this storm the next twenty years ?
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

This morning the media questions to the FEMA chief were all questioning why they did not evacuate Houston. The problem is that they would have had to have made that call on Monday in order to move 5 million people and not strand them on the highway. My family are all safe (Thank God), but one cousin lost his house and is staying at a neighbors. My FIL evacuated from Victoria and they don't know when he will be able to head home.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

These numbers reflect a Tropical Storm Debby level of rain but they probably still have 3 - 4 more days of rain with predictions being a potential 20" in addition to whatever has already fallen by Sunday. I was confused by the report of a record storm surge 2 days after the storm made land fall but it reflected the saltwater being pushed by high tides and the onshore wind from the TS meeting up with the draining freshwater and just backed up when the two collided...

A good write up here WU
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Man, I feel for them. Hopefully there won't be too many deaths.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Received a text reply from an editor I work with in Houston. He and his family are stranded at the house with everything either raised or toted upstairs. So far they're still dry but the Army Corps of Engineers has released water from two damned lakes to prevent collapse and the forecast is calling for lots more rain. Fingers crossed for him and all Texans suffering through this mess.

By the way, the guy in the skiff in the street photo rescued 100 people yesterday, according to his boat partner on Microskiff.com, who was working at a local hospital. Lots of folks helping out, which shows the true American spirit.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I'm sorry, but once again a mayor in a major coastal area has failed to call for evacuation. There was plenty of time to get folks out. He needs to be ridden out of town on a rail!

Yesterday thugs posting as victims attempted to rob members of the Cajun navy as they were doing rescues, including shooting at one boat. :smt011

Remember, Katrina washed many thugs out of New Orleans over to Houston.

The flooding is awful and my prayers to those who are suffering.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Mass evacuation didn't work out too well with Rita, MD. Multiple casualties from accidents and heat stroke. Traffic gridlock for hours. Can you imagine thousands of vehicles stuck on interstates/highways when a Cat. 4 rolled into town? Path was still uncertain when evac order would have been issued. At some point folks have to be prepared, hunker down and wait it out and disaster relief has to respond quickly.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

I agree MudDucker. They had plenty of time. I10 can handle a lot of outgoing traffic east and west, not counting the big highways going north.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

The good Lord gave me the ability to think for myself, I would't have waited for the gov to do it for me. Most everyone knew a hurricane was coming.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Gulf Coast wrote:The good Lord gave me the ability to think for myself, I would't have waited for the gov to do it for me. Most everyone knew a hurricane was coming.
:thumbup:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Gulf Coast wrote:The good Lord gave me the ability to think for myself, I would't have waited for the gov to do it for me. Most everyone knew a hurricane was coming.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

While they were grilling the Houston mayor tonight, report said 60 people died from heat stroke while trying to evacuate last time.