Steinhatchee 10/21 (Cobia, Redfish, Trout, Black Drum)

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jsaunders

Steinhatchee 10/21 (Cobia, Redfish, Trout, Black Drum)

Post by jsaunders »

Launched at Good Times Marina in Steinhatchee around 6:45AM Saturday morning. We caught several good trout in the first hour of daylight on topwater, a 19" and 21" among them. The bite slowed around 8am. We picked up a few short trout, a good spanish mackeral, and a bluefish by 9am. We were drifting over a big sandy patch and spotted a large stingray, with two big cobia with him. One of the cobia took a swipe at a Cotton Cordell redfin we had tied on, but it didn't stick. We drifted in a live pinfish out of the back of the boat on a popping cork in hopes one of the cobia might pick it up. A few minutes later the rod doubled over and drag started singing. By the time I got the motor and jackplate trimmed down and the boat turned around we we're down to half spool (Penn Clash 3500, Penn Battalion 7' M rod, 20lb PowerPro braid). We were able to catch up to the fish, and it still took a solid 20 minutes to get her in the boat. A 46 inch Cobia. I got most of the fight on my GoPro. Gonna post some footage to Youtube once I edit it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zv_LT-rnAw

We caught a few more trout and a 24" redfish throughout the day. We ended the day by catching this 36" black drum on a gold spoon.

Last edited by jsaunders on October 24th, 2017, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Jody71FSU

Re: Steinhatchee 10/21 (Cobia, Redfish, Trout, Black Drum)

Post by Jody71FSU »

That is an awesome day on the water!!! way to go, jsaunders. That will keep me going until the weekend... WIll be looking for the vid on youtube.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Jody71FSU wrote:That is an awesome day on the water!!! way to go, jsaunders. That will keep me going until the weekend... WIll be looking for the vid on youtube.
Thanks! I'll post a link to the video on here once I get it up.

- Josh
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Awesome day for sure. Killer mixed bag. Good work
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Wow great day! Can't wait to see the video.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Great day. You're going to need a bigger net!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Yall did good! That drum almost looks like a big redfish. Redfins are good lures this time of year.
Yours in the South
blackshear

Post by blackshear »

Nice Cobia! We also caught a Cobia on light tackle this weekend while fishing out of Keaton for trout. I was using 10 lb braid, 2500 Shimano and fishing with a sinking hard jerk bait. He was 38" long and it took us about 30 minutes to land him. We also had near disaster with the net before Redbelly7 found a small gaff to land him. My question is how much longer do you think the Cobia will be around with the weather cooling off?

Pathfinder 1806
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Nice! I was nervous using 20lb braid. Bringing a fish like that in on 10lb is an impressive feat.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

silverking wrote:Great day. You're going to need a bigger net!
I took the gaff out to save some space on inshore trips. It's definitely getting put back in now. :thumbup: :thumbup:
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
blackshear

Post by blackshear »

Wish I had a video to show just how stressed I was trying to get him in, especially after the failed attempt to net him. I have hooked a few on the flats before but they have always managed to get away for various reasons, so it was my 1st legal Cobia. This was one of those fishing trips that we will remember and talk about for many years to come.

I also enjoyed watching the video of your catch, the unedited version would have been more entertaining though. LOL
Pathfinder 1806
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

blackshear wrote:Wish I had a video to show just how stressed I was trying to get him in, especially after the failed attempt to net him. I have hooked a few on the flats before but they have always managed to get away for various reasons, so it was my 1st legal Cobia. This was one of those fishing trips that we will remember and talk about for many years to come.

I also enjoyed watching the video of your catch, the unedited version would have been more entertaining though. LOL
Lol. Yes, the audio after the net debacle was colorful, to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow awesome trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Awesome trip, I hope my trip down in 2 weeks is as memorable.