Carolina skiff question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Carolina skiff question

Post by Redbelly »

I am looking at the v-series 16' Carolina Skiff.

Anybody know about this model?

Does it ride rough, is it a "dry' ride or do you get soaked?

Thanks for any answers.

I am seeking a boat to go with my upcoming 40hp Nissan purchase.

Any ideas? I like the idea of the "unsinkable" skiff, but also like aluminum for the weight factor.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
BKTomblin Jr

water crafts

Post by BKTomblin Jr »

Yea Redbely, I too considered a Carona Skiff, but was suckered into a deal on my Mako. Dont get me wrong my boat is a pretty dry ride. Im just tryin to except the gas mileage ! But on that skiff ?? Have you rode in it ?? consider the ride, but at the same time "light" w/ a 40 hp you aught to be able to fish the flats reel cheap. :smt023 do you have any pictures ??
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good morning Redbelly.
The best response I can come up with is....depends on how you want to use it... :o There are going to be times when yes, the ride will be rough. There are going to be times when yes, your going to get some spray. That being said, I have the 19 8 semi V series and am pleased with it. The following comments are my opinion and do not reflect the opinions of the management or those who may have more experience than I do :-D

There isn't a perfect rig for both the flats, offshore, calm water, rough water, etc. I've been in some rather rough chop and I've been sprayed down. There have been times when a deep V or something with some dead rise would have allowed me to go off shore when I wasn't able to (or chose not to). However, in good conditions I have run out 15-17 miles with complete comfort. I don't know that I would do it in a 16ft. The length will have some bearing on the ride you get depending on the period of the waves. The 16ft V series is aprox 200 lbs heavier than the J series. The V series will track and maneuver better than the J series but the J series will get up on top of the water and most likely use less fuel.

The 16ft V series is rated at a max of 50 hp while the J series is max rated at 30 hp. I would like to see more than 40 hp on the V series but it would work .....like I said in the beginning :roll: .... depending on how you want to use it :D Good luck with your decisions :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Maybe check out on of these.

Centerline length...........15'11"

Beam, amidships..................6'2"

Draft, hull only......................7"

Dead rise............................15º

Hull weight...................625 lbs.

Transom height.......15" or 20"

Maximum H.P.......................50

http://www.dusky.com/

Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I just have to add that a friend of mine has a 17 semi V Carolina Skiff and it is a nice boat and it handles well. I was impressed with it's ability to handle sharp turns with no sliding. HOWEVER, this is the wettest boat that I have ever ridden in. He is actually going to sell his based on this one fact. I know that all boats will wet you under the right conditions but I never would have imagined how bad that particular boat is. I'm not out to offend any one that has one of these, maybe there is something wrong with his, but in my opinion, I would stay away from the Semi V and go for the DLX series. I here that they are much dryer and the ride will be about the same. I'm not sure about the turning though.
Good luck, Fish Masterson
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

My father in law is about to buy a year 2000 23 foot semi-V with a 90 Honda on it. I'll have it to fish with the family in St Joe and yeah, I see the water coming. Oh well. If that's a problem I could use some more like it. The deal is for 8K and I told him it was a steal. It looks garage kept and it comes with all the electronics, steel prop, trolling motor, the right trailer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Lit...that does sound like a very good deal :thumbup: I believe you will enjoy it. The longer Skiff's do a better job of providing a drier experience. I've had mine about 3 years. I've gotten much better at learing how to trim the motor to achieve a drier ride.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Good news on the trim. I've used a lot of boats but never one long enough to really know it. My kids are 2 & 4 and I have an investment in their early trips being memorable. After they get hooked they'll put up with a lot to get it again. I can hear it coming:
"Daddy, please take us fishing. Well, honey, they've been asking all week. I can't let em' down so I guess I'll just have to take them."
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Start um early, Lit. The 4 year old is probably old enough now. My son fished his first tournament on his 7th birthday, He's still ready, at the drop of a hat, at age 26. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Well the buyers check report was A-OK on the 40hp Nissan! :-D

Laid down $675.00 + 20.00 for the check fee.

I gots ta have a boat!

I am thinking I will get a 1648 or 1650 Mv type aluminim. It will ride high in the water and weight factor is good.

Shopping now. 8)
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc