Lanark Village Boat Ramp- Members Only

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Lanark Village Boat Ramp- Members Only

Post by bbb »

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but starting January 1st, you must be a member of the Lanark Village Boat Club in order to use their ramp. This is in addition to the $10 daily launch fee or the $100 yearly fee.

Looks like the club membership is $15 a year.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Lanark Village Boat Ramp- Members Only

Post by Juan »

I've never launched from Lanark Village since there are too many nice free public ramps near by and some great fishing between them and Lanark. I can see launching from Lanark as a convenience if you plan to fish near the ramp but is there something special about the Village ramp other than location? A lot of ramps are charging a launch fee these days and $10. is a fair price to pay if it's a good ramp with secure parking but restricting a ramp to "members only" is a bit too much IMO. :hammer:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

More B.S. Sooner or later we will be like Miami, where everybody thinks they own the beach and the water. :thumbdown:
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

From what I remember, you had to be a property owner in Franklin County to be a member.... Could be mistaken, but am fairly sure that was Lanark Yacht Club's rules.... Guess they must have changed. I doubt it will deter many from using the ramp. Most will pay, and the club makes more money. If it does reduce traffic, the only person I see it really hurting is Carson. That would not be cool!
bbb

Post by bbb »

They have a membership for property owners and non property owners. Both are $15 a year with different benefits.
bbb

Post by bbb »

bbb

Post by bbb »

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

There is a reason for this and it is not what y'all think. It is necessary for their tax status.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Well, enlighten us before we begin to email and call the folks listed above. :smt017

I have to say as a boat owner who spends a LOT of money when I fish out of town, nothing makes me feel less welcome than to go someplace like the St. Joe Bay City ramp where they charge no fee for locals but a high launch rate for those from out of town. The out of town angler is already spending a considerable amount of money on lodging, dining, drinking, food, bait, etc. High ramp fees to only out of town visitors seems like an unnecessary gouge in the wallet.

- Steve Stinson
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

Go to carrabelle public landing it's free. I read the post and in my two cents is the store there should pay the fees. They make a ton of money off of the fisherman that go in their.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

I believe MD is correct. Rampmaster Mike told me this was coming. Evidently, they have been advised that changing the character of the ramp revenue to "membership income" will somehow protect their not for profit status. If you read the info BBB provided anybody can be a "member". You just won't be able to have a boat slip. You will be invited to some social gatherings. :beer:

Now.....if fewer people used the ramp, that would not make me mad. (sorry Carson but I'm selfish) :lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Couldn't they do the same thing by considering ramp fees "donations" and changing the notation on their money box to "$10 Donation for use of ramp"?
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

Steve Stinson wrote:More B.S. Sooner or later we will be like Miami, where everybody thinks they own the beach and the water. :thumbdown:
The thing is the LVBC does own the property so they do charge for the ramp, the $10 fee is to maintain property/ramp and pay for your normal insurances and pay employees. From my understanding with talking with the boat club is the change had to be made due to their non profit status, the CPA said it had to be structured different. Anyone from anywhere is still welcomed to come and enjoy the ramp, but you will need to become a member of the LVBC for $15.
homboyfsu wrote:Go to carrabelle public landing it's free. I read the post and in my two cents is the store there should pay the fees. They make a ton of money off of the fisherman that go in their.
From what I have been told Carrabelle will be charging a ramp fee soon, $120 for an annual pass. As for me making a "ton", not so much sir. Never knew you had access to my books? Yes, I make money off of my customers, but isn't that why anyone goes into business? I do appreciate each and everyone of my customers and thank you for supporting me the past 6 years. I hope the change the LVBC is making doesn't deter anyone from coming over this way!

Carson
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

culrich wrote: From what I have been told Carrabelle will be charging a ramp fee soon, $120 for an annual pass. As for me making a "ton", not so much sir. Never knew you had access to my books? Yes, I make money off of my customers, but isn't that why anyone goes into business? I do appreciate each and everyone of my customers and thank you for supporting me the past 6 years. I hope the change the LVBC is making doesn't deter anyone from coming over this way!

Carson
I'm glad you're there Carson and am more than happy to spend my money with you!! Coming from Lake Talquin by the dam, I have a gas station less than 2 miles from my house that sells non-ethanol gas and if I'm going to St. Marks or Keaton, I get the fuel there. If I'm going to Lanark, I get it from you! Don't mind spending money with "good people"!!
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Steve Stinson wrote:Couldn't they do the same thing by considering ramp fees "donations" and changing the notation on their money box to "$10 Donation for use of ramp"?
The IRS problem here is what you call "unrelated business income". For most organizations, an activity is an unrelated business (and subject to unrelated business income tax) if it meets three requirements: It is a trade or business, It is regularly carried on, and It is not substantially related to furthering the exempt purpose of the organization. For a not for profit organization this type of income can be considered taxable.

Calling regular and substantial payments from unrelated parties for a service or product you provide a "donation" will not fly very far at the IRS office. ;-)

On a happier note I plan to spend even more money down at the Lanark Market this year so Carson's income stream is secure. 8) :beer: :thumbup:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton