Saint Marks 1-14-18

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Live Bait

Saint Marks 1-14-18

Post by Live Bait »

New to BigBendFishing but born in raised in Tallahassee. Been fishing and hunting this area all my life. I've been reading posts on this site for some time and looks to me like a great group to join. So I did just that and will start contributing fishing reports(when I can, I have two small children). I fish mainly out of Saint Marks and Mexico Beach. A buddy and I fished the Saint Marks river on Sunday. We started out up river and only managed a white trout, a largemouth and several short mangroves. We moved out closer to the fort and fished between the fort and shell island fish camp. Everyone else had the same idea and for good reason. We caught several keeper trout but kept only 6 at 16-19" with a whole lot of shorts mixed in. We used live shrimp on a 1/4 red jig head and 4" gulp swimming mullet in white on a chartreuse jig head.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Re: Saint Marks 1-14-18

Post by guthooked »

Nice. In the winter that short stretch can get a little busy
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Welcome, there are some great people on here, you did good, sometimes you have to just search around till you find some, and sometimes you can get lucky and find them off from the crowds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Welcome! I think I'm a lot like you. I've found this site very helpful and it has definitely helped my "fishing career." I met one gent in particular from this site and I've gone fishing with him a couple times and it definitely made me a much better fisherman.

It seems to me that most of the traffic is on the "Inshore Fishing Reports" forum. That covers the St. Marks river/river mouth/flats/oyster bars/local creeks/creek mouths areas, which a lot of people, including me, are most interested in.