Apalachicola River/ Torreya State Park

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

WetBandit

Apalachicola River/ Torreya State Park

Post by WetBandit »

Taking the dog and girlfriend camping this weekend at Torreya State Park, staying at the rock bluff primitive campsite. Got the ok bring a pole and spend a little time looking for fishies. Could anyone offer some suggestions for that area? I will be bank fishing/ wading only. Thanks.
fishfalcon

Re: Apalachicola River/ Torreya State Park

Post by fishfalcon »

I have hiked Torreya several times with the scouts and have camped where you will be. In another month, it is a fine place to hear a turkey gobble. I have never fished there so I have no recommendations. Good luck!
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

I hike there many times throughout the fall and winter. Walk down past campsite 4 and there is an easier way to fish from the bluff at that location. Near campsite one has a steep embankment and is not as deep.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I have done good there on watermelon seed or junebug colored worms or lizards. Use watermelon if the water is running clear, Junebug if it is stained or cloudy. There are a lot of mudfish in with the bass.
WetBandit

Post by WetBandit »

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I only fished a little bit and didn't catch anything but I still appreciate the feedback. Probably some good fish to be caught along the river on foot but I'm not used to fishing in that strong of a current and spent the majority of my time tangled up in what I would guess was sunken tree limbs. The tackle I brought was probably too light as well. I could see/hear a couple boats out fishing that bend of the river after dark.

Still a beautiful weekend to be outdoors and really enjoyed the my time there. They have great hiking trails if you have never been.