Tunnel-hull question

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

:smt082 :smt091 :beer: :beer:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

There are "theories" to suport chalk's claims. You need to ask either a dealer, or someone who owns one. Two more cents.

:smt075
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Chalk....what brand boat is that you had a picture of in your last post?

I do like the idea of aluminum for weight factor.

Is a jack plate necessary on a tunnel hull?

Oh.......why to be me? Having to decide what is the best to buy! :-?

Yes I want skinny water ability, I like to fish at Aucilla. But....I want to be able to head out a little ways, 5-6 miles and be safe.

The search continues...........but no hurry 8)
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Redbelly wrote:Chalk....what brand boat is that you had a picture of in your last post?
The boat is an XF20 you can build it from plans.....http://www.boatplans-online.com/proddet ... ?prod=XF20

The boat is very :roll: similar to a boat built around Gainesville by Capt. Billy Henderson...Claims are it will run in a heavy dew :o :lol:

mjsigns wrote:There are "theories" to suport chalk's claims. You need to ask either a dealer, or someone who owns one.
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043

What does a dealer know about hull and tunnel design......

The quote in my last comment came from a designer that has over seen well over 500 boats being built and designed for Cigarette...Built his own sail boat and solo sailed the Atlantic to America and a certified engineer.... :smt028
arcadiainc
Site Sponsor

Post by arcadiainc »

Hi---If you want to try your hand at boatbuilding you may want to take a look at this. http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=PH16. This one is rated for 70hp but I feel that 40hp would work very well. I was going to give it a try but stumbled across a "deal" I could not refuse. Besides the one I bought pleases my wife. A very important consideration for me. :o Bateau.com has several designs that should work well. This site is out of the east coast of Florida hence tends to design boats more for our needs.
arcadiainc
Site Sponsor

Post by arcadiainc »

Chalk--I did not see your last reply. I feel kinda foolish. I should have followed the thread to the end. At least I have found someone that shares my interest in boatbuilding. :oops:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Hey ARC..click on my fishing link in my sig....I was building the PH16....Gave it up, because of my move....I'm gonna start on another boat as soon I get moved into my new house....It will be like a gheenoe..then I have plans to build another flats boat... :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

A 40hp on the pH16 wouldn't cut it....I talk with Casey Jones from time to time and he has a 30 on his and it goes, just not to quickly.....I rode in Ken Owens PH16 with a 90....Scary fast at 38 in a 16 foot boat.....DougS put a 130 on his....says it will hit 50 and that's as far as he will take it...... :thumbup:
arcadiainc
Site Sponsor

Post by arcadiainc »

I thought the 40hp would do it. I have a 70 hp Merc I was going to use. Guess we are getting off subject, but take a look at this site.http://www.fishyfish.com/tolmanskiff.html You may have already seen it. An Alaskan boat. Not a good flats boat as such but would still be an excellent all purpose skiff.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Yeah..I like the Tolman....Hell I like all boats :lol: ...Tolman is a hybrid between conventional plank and frame and new S&G construction....
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I tell ya, I would really enjoy building my own boat. But in my cabinet shop space is very valuable with the building boom and all that. Plus spare time right now for me AIN'T gonna be working with wood! :D

So the search continues.....I am thinking aluminum 1648 non-tunnel.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

I just bought a 1648 w/ a 25 Yammie. I haven't fished it yet, but I ran it at Lake Miccosoukee, and it seems perfect for buzzing the shoreline, and hitting those favorite red holes :smt023 .
I was out there yesterday, and I saw a guy with the same set up, but he had a jackplate on his (probabally manual). Looked like he had about a 35 or 40hp Johnson. Looked like a SHALLOW rig!
I think you will be fine w/ an aluminum hull.