Aucilla 11/13@14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Aucilla 11/13@14

Post by Fish Masterson »

Well, it all started on Saturday. Me, Charlie and ole Rocket headed out of Aucilla for a little fishin. We put in around nine or ten to a very low tide and bounced are way out to the flats. A negative tide is always a learning experience, and this morning proved no different:
#1 Stainless Steel props will not eat rocks
#2 Stainless Steel props will readily bend while attempting to eat rocks
#3 There are alot of rocks in them thar waters
#4 There could be more rock than water
#5 I'm not sure where this is going, so on with the story :-D

Once we made it out on to the flats we started chuckin lures and the trout were ready. First fish was around 21", and after I finished untangling treble hooks out of the net, I secretly made a pact with myself to not use the net anymore. Second fish was about 17" and up over the side and in the bottom of the boat :-D . Third fish was another good'un, and up and slam into the side of the boat, then back in the water :cry: . Pretty much the same deal on trouts 4-7 and then it was time to try for a Red fish. I got the net ready and off we went in search of some Tail.
We pulled up on a spot that I shall name Secret Spot #1 and as soon as we arrived we spotted feeding fish having a hay day. One perfectly placed cast by Rocket, and Red # 1 is in the net. He'll go about 22" and into the cooler. While I'm trying to reposition the boat, I see Rocket's pole double and here comes # 2. I finally get a hook in the water and land a puppy red in short order. After I toss him back I see Rocket just gettin the hook out of #2 and Charlie is jumping around trying to eat the Red. I look away, and then I hear a yelp. I look back in time to see Charlie with a Zara Spook hung out of her head, running to the back of the boat pulling drag off of the reel. As I started towards her, I saw her try to rub it out with her front paw and now her paw is attached to her eyebrow. I tell her to be still and she does until I can get to her. Rocket shoots me a worried look and asks what to do. Hold on, I can see the barb still out on the hook in the paw. I pull it out and she has four legs again. Now for the hard part, I examine the hook in her eyebrow and it looks deep, but when I part the hair, I can see the other barb. Out it comes, and one lucky dog and two relieved fishermen.
Back to fishing, we realize that we must have spooked the fish so we move on to Secret Spot #2. Not as much activity but Rocket manages to land another Red at about 24". We fished hard for a while longer but nothing doing, so we call it and head for the hill.
That whole night I could hardly sleep thinking about all the mullet we saw. I tragically left my cast net at home and was taunted by them the entire trip. I awoke Sunday morning to cooler temps and a fierce wind. I also had a terrible hankering to go try those mullet. I must have looked out the window a hundred times hoping that the wind would lay. Oh well, I'll see whats on T.V. Oh its a fishing show, Wayne Pearson is on a boat with another guy fishing for..........MULLET. I have never seen a show on mullet fishing. Oh the irony! I look out the window again, and is it my Imagination or is the wind laying a bit. Well I'm not about to give it a chance so off to the ramp I head. Put in at the Aucilla and, yep it was just my imagination.
Well I'm here now so bad can it be anyway. Out the mouth and west about three miles and in towards the bank. I'm closing in on a promising looking creek and the water is gettin real shallow. Drop the trolling motor, and I can't beat the current and wind. Give up and head to another creek hoping it is deep enough for me to run the big motor into. It isn't! Start to realize that if I do manage to get in the creek, I may not get out until the next high tide. I tuck my tale and turn back towards the river with hopes of making it back and fishing top water near the mouth. Almost an hour later, through angry seas, I make it to the mouth and pry Charlie out from under the console to let her know that we made it alive. We are both soaked and cold so fishing is not an option. Loaded up and on the way home wishing that I had listened to NOAA. Oh well, I guess we wouldn't have fished Saturday either if I had done that.
Fish Masterson
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Great writing Fishmaster. When I read your posts, I feel like I'm right there in the boat with you. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
MJ
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

That's a great story FM- And, what I call determination with the mullet attempt. 'Gotta have a bad day once in a while, to make ya appreciate all the good ones.
One outta two ain't bad.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

sweet :thumbup:
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Nice Going FM!
for petes sake
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Very good story, Fish. I, also, enjoy your writing. However, I can't believe we haven't run into each other on the water. I fish Secret spot #1 and Secret spot #2 all the time. :-D
What was I supposed to do today?
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Great trip & a great read!
Thanks for telling the story.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good catch and very nicely done "Fish". :thumbup: :D Being one who also has a canine partner from time to time, I can appreciate your experience. Glad "Charlie" trusted you enough to "be still" and let you dehook her without getting you connected to the mess as well:D Tell her I said She's a good dog :thumbup: :-D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Sea Gurl

Post by Sea Gurl »

FM

My dog also tries to slay the fish - glad Charlie got off easy this time 'round.

Have you tried a rubber net? The hooks really don't stick in them.

Wish I had of been out Sat - bet some of us missed out by believing those same weather reports while you were out catching 'em.

Sea Gurl
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

My dog has been on my boat once. It was in the driveway and she did a header off the bow. She is not a large dog...faceplant on the driveway. Got a little worried when the blood started shooting out of her mouth. Luckily, it amounted to a doggie busted lip. She got off lucky. Won't be back in the boat until she calms down a bit.

She can't stand to have that pretty face smashed in much more. :-D
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

She's cute. We got some friends that have a dog like yours, he;s just like a kid. Plays all the time.
Yours in the South
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Very good FM.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Yep, excellent report. :thumbup: Aucilla River was my backyard for a lot of years as a kid, living with my grandfather.
Semper Fi
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Dayum Eerman, that header off the bow really messed up that puppy's face!
for petes sake
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Actually made her a lot prettier...the before pictures were really scary :o