St. Marks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

4reels

St. Marks

Post by 4reels »

Went out yesterday with my 14 y/o son. He loves fishing more than I do! Headed out to Rotary Reef looking for some early season Cobia. My son also wanted to catch a shark. Nothing home. One break off with cut bait (probably a shark).

Seas picked up, so we headed back to the West Flats . . . . which were “eat up” with Lady fish! Fun for about 15 minutes, but not what we were after. Did manage a couple of Bluefish and some short trout. Didn’t see any Reds. Temps 72-74 degrees.

Headed back in and saw a guy limping back in the lighthouse ramp canal with his trolling motor - obviously taking on water. Eased up to see if we could help, but not much we could do. His bilge wasn’t working and all he had was his trolling motor. As soon as he stepped off the front of his boat onto the dock, the transom dipped down, and that’s all it took. It was painful watching the back end slip under the surface with little we could do. Not sure if he’s on this forum . . . glad he was not injured (or worse), but hate it for his boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red Beard

Re: St. Marks

Post by Red Beard »

Great report and day spent with your son it looks like! Unfortunate for the guys at the ramp, hate to see it.

Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Bilge wasnt working but what caused the water to get in the boat?
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Srbenda wrote:Bilge wasnt working but what caused the water to get in the boat?
Probably one of the usual suspects
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
4reels

Post by 4reels »

Not sure . . . . Owner wasn’t sure either. At least he was close in. That would be a bad feeling half way to K tower!

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

4reels wrote:
Not sure . . . . Owner wasn’t sure either. At least he was close in. That would be a bad feeling half way to K tower!

No lie there.. the world gets a whole lot bigger and you feel a whole lot smaller, when something like that happens.