Fishing Fernadina

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fishnut
Site Sponsor

Fishing Fernadina

Post by Fishnut »

Family vacation next week in Fernadina (sp?) and wondering if any of you guys have any info on the area. Wanted to try hand at shrimping also, since I'll be there a week (with inlaws :-? ) and need PLENTY to do. I know this is the Big Bend site, but i am not registered on FL Sportsman site and thought someone would know a little about the area.
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

Register on the Fla Sportsman board. Won't take two minutes.

Haven't been to Fernandina in years. Went to VSU. We used to drive down to Jax and FERN on the weekend and fish/camp/party. I do remember the beach fishing being decent. Isn't there a jetty or some rocks down there?? I want to say we caught redfish around them. Sorry I can't be more help. That's been a while ago.

Seatrout99
Brad

Post by Brad »

Fishnut,

I do most of my inshore fishing around St. Mary's/Fernandina. Are you going to have a boat?

Whether you have one or not, you need to go to 14th street. At the end of 14th street, you'll find The Bait House. Those folks always have quality live bait, and they will be more than happy to help you out. They WILL know what's biting and where.

You can launch there and it's only a short run out of Egan's creek to Cumberland Sound. Jetties are right there to your right beside Fort Clinch. Sheepshead, reds, trout, and many other species can be caught there.

Drop me an email if you have any other questions and to let me know if you're gonna have a boat down there. I might be able to find an easter egg for you.

Good luck!

Brad
If it's true that all the world's a stage...I WANT BETTER LIGHTING!
Brad

Post by Brad »

Fishnut,

Check your private messages. I tried to return a mail to you but it bounced.

B
garookie

Post by garookie »

might also check out floridasurffishing.com if you are fishing mainly from the beach. They concentrate on the northeast florida surf. Bunch of self-proclaimed tackle ho's over there too. They can tell you how to supertune just about any reel ever made! 8)
Brad

Post by Brad »

How was the fishing in Fernandina last week? Do any good?
Fishnut
Site Sponsor

Post by Fishnut »

It was a learning experience to say the least. I learned how much I love the Gulf and what a pain in the @$## the Atlantic is.

Lost an anchor (don't ask). Nearly got swamped by a HUGE tug. Scraped bottom of boat on an oyster bar.

To sum it up:
1 lost anchor and rope
1 broken baitcast rod (father in law fought a big rock and i fought the tide)
345 cut offs of one kind or another
3 retuned and cleaned carbs (boat runs great though)
2 keeper seabass
1 23 inch snapper
1 20 inch Red fish
1 keeper Spanish
122,355 explitives

But enjoyed going out everyday and giving it a go. Great wheather and wonderful time despite all. Went on a charter Friday and fishing was so bad the guy gave us a full day for price of half day. Hated we didnt catch any kings (2 hookups) but did feel vindicated about the previous weeks poor catch.