Huge Disappointment

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TOWM

Huge Disappointment

Post by TOWM »

Yesterday, I hooked into the biggest trout I ever laid eyes on! Unfortunately, the hook came out before we could get the net under it :(
The trout was easily 26-27” long. Big yellow mouth. Thick as a loaf of bread.
I hooked the trout in 5-6’ of water halfway between the Lighthouse and the sandbar. It hit a live pinfish under a cork with 36” leader.

The other trout we caught liked a green colored paddle tail shad retrieved fast enough to keep it off the bottom. No other colors elicited a strike.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Huge Disappointment

Post by DixieReb »

Those big trout get big by being smart, they seem to know how to throw hooks better than the rest. :( Live pins are the best bait for bigguns, go out and try to catch you another one! :wink:
Yours in the South
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Sounds like a great fight! Too bad you couldn't get it in the boat. I was out there looking for fish yesterday. Saw some hitting the top of the water, but couldn't get any on the hook.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

That’s the way she goes man.. good news though. The cooler weather coming will bring the big girls in. You will have another shot at a gator.

Couple winters back I lost two PB’s back to back right at the boat. Big trout definitely fight different than the smaller younger brethren. When trout fishing I loosen my drag up and let the rod do the work; remind myself not to horse them in.

“Slow it down.. Enjoy the fight..” is what my grandpa always told me.

Good luck on getting your retribution..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Big trout have vicious head shakes, but usually only good for one run if you don’t put a ton of pressure on them. Xtra fast rod and loose. The drag. Let them wallow.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Fishbster12

Post by Fishbster12 »

Thanks for the report, you will get her soon. Nice job!
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

Hot dang I know the feeling. But I’ve learned that something that I used to have just plain backwards. If you lost 1, that means there’s another 1 out there. Then if you lose him there’s another etc etc etc. I used to think it was just impossible to hook a trophy more than every so often. That’s been proved wrong in my boat many times. If I could just keep from losing them now I’ll be set lol!