Apalachicola Red Snapper with Deepwater Pictures from June 4

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Apalachicola Red Snapper with Deepwater Pictures from June 4

Post by John21:6 »

On Tuesday, June 4, we went fishing for red snapper for the first time since the season started. We launched the boat out of Apalachicola and then looked for bait offshore. Where we expected to catch cigar minnows, we caught every other kind of bait—hardtails, pigfish, tomtates, croakers, and more. Our bait rigs consisted of two of my homemade double-hook bait rigs, which were baited with squid, and a store-bought Sabiki rig. The homemade bait rigs caught most of the bait. The Sabiki rig mostly caught us. If you’ve ever used a Sabiki rig, you know what I mean.

With a full livewell, we were heading to depths deeper than 200’ to explore for scamp. A few miles short of our destination, we passed over an area that produced red snapper and red grouper in the past. Fish echoes lit up the sonar screen. We just couldn’t resist the urge to stop and fish. (We were also close to where my GoPro Hero 3+ imploded on a prior trip.) So we lowered the trolling motor and spot-locked.

While others on the boat started fishing, I tested my new GoPro Hero10 and its GoPro brand underwater housing. A few fish came on the boat. One of the first was a huge triggerfish that would have been a keeper a few days ago. Back into the deep he went. Then my neighbor’s 14-year old son fought a 26” red snapper to the surface, the biggest fish of his life. The one having the least luck was using a slow pitch jig.

As I was nervously testing the new GoPro, I had the camera set to take 5.3K videos at 30 frames per second. Video frames at this resolution, according to GoPro, produce 19.6 megapixel still photos. My underwater videos were also assisted by cheap floodlight. Here are a couple photos from this spot.

(The pictures would have been even better had I removed the clear protective tape on the camera lens.)

Despite the all the red snapper on the spot, few were hungry. It was time to stow the trolling motor and move. Fortunately for the red snapper and all the other fish we were going to catch, the trolling motor would not stow. It was stuck in the vertical position. All we could figure to do was to raise it as high as possible and strap it to the anchor and then head in slowly.

Once within cell range, I called Big Bend Marine in Perry, Fla., where I purchased my boat. Rhett with the Big Bend Marine team was quick to give me a few tips that allowed me to stow the trolling motor and get back to the ramp at speed. Rhett explained that I needed to dislodge the pin-latch, which looks like a 5" long stainless steel rod, at the front of the steering housing. This pin-latch, however, cannot be seen from the boat. You have to feel for it and then use screwdriver or something to pry it forward. The after-the-sale service from Dale, Rhett, David and the others at Big Bend Marine has been great. Be sure to check out Big Bend Marine for that new boat you need, for service on your existing boat, or just for a cool hat like mine.

Despite our mechanical difficulties, we ended the day with a little fish for everyone.

Last edited by John21:6 on June 7th, 2024, 1:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Apalachicola Red Snapper with Deepwater Pictures from June 4

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Great pics, thanks for the report.

fishinfool wrote: June 7th, 2024, 8:12 am :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Great pics, thanks for the report.
Thanks, Jim.
illinoisfisherman
Site Sponsor

Post by illinoisfisherman »

Those are some great pictures. Very nice work!👍

illinoisfisherman wrote: June 8th, 2024, 2:47 pm Those are some great pictures. Very nice work!👍
Thanks for reading and for the feedback.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Great pictures from the deep, I had the opposite problem, my terrova deployed last time I ran off shore on its own while at speed, it was rough enough to loosen the front bolts and it was rocking enough to trip the release. Glad yall got it fixed!

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

springcreekman

Post by springcreekman »

I agree with the comments from Big Bend Marine. These folks are top notch when it comes service!!