Carrabelle 6/29/24

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

shakenbake

Carrabelle 6/29/24

Post by shakenbake »

Lack of reports lately so figured I’d share one. Left out of Carrabelle bright and early Saturday morning. Started around S tower in 100ft with little luck. Picked up some lanes and fire trucks. Moved south to around 115ft and still couldn’t find the red snapper. Numbers that I caught them on last summer in 100+ were not productive and did not pick up snapper trees on the sonar. Any insight?

Productive day just can’t find the red snapper. Limited on numbers out past 100ft but gave it our all. Live cigar minnows, pin fish, squid and LY’s. No real big winner over the others as far as preferred baits.

Ended up with some stud fire trucks, lane snapper, big mangroves and some b liners

Great day. Not complaining at all. Just perplexed about the ARS. Dad’s coming to town in two weeks and would love to find them to send him home with some red snapper filets. Image[/img]
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Carrabelle 6/29/24

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Glad you caught some, it had to been God awful hot out there. :smt004
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

shakenbake wrote: July 2nd, 2024, 12:03 am Lack of reports lately so figured I’d share one. Left out of Carrabelle bright and early Saturday morning. Started around S tower in 100ft with little luck. Picked up some lanes and fire trucks. Moved south to around 115ft and still couldn’t find the red snapper. Numbers that I caught them on last summer in 100+ were not productive and did not pick up snapper trees on the sonar. Any insight?

Productive day just can’t find the red snapper. Limited on numbers out past 100ft but gave it our all. Live cigar minnows, pin fish, squid and LY’s. No real big winner over the others as far as preferred baits.

Ended up with some stud fire trucks, lane snapper, big mangroves and some b liners

Great day. Not complaining at all. Just perplexed about the ARS. Dad’s coming to town in two weeks and would love to find them to send him home with some red snapper filets. Image[/img]
I have encountered the same problem of not being able to find snapper trees where you would expect to find them. One of my theories is that maybe the current was too weak for the fish to tree-up. I think the snapper are apt to tree up when there is a little current that will cause the fish to organize themselves like a flag on a flagpole on a windy day. However, I think strong currents can create other problems. What were the currents like when you were struggling to find fish?

Also, I usually expect to find snapper 2 to 5 cranks of the reel from the bottom of the water column. However, in deeper water if you are not finding snapper trees, I think they will often be 50' to 60' feet off the bottom. How close to the bottom were your baits?
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Weird thing this past weekend we found them in 60 ft and they were up higher in the water column which was weird for them to be shallow, another friend of mine ran out further than we did and had a similar experience to you

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

shakenbake

Post by shakenbake »

Yeah I’m not sure what the deal was. We definitely weren’t fishing right on the bottom other than when trying to boat a red grouper. Otherwise we were at minimum 15-20 ft off the bottom. Never really saw a ton of fish way up in the water column on the sonar. When we did, they were presumably mangroves because that’s what we’d catch. Good ones too. That’s wild that y’all found them in 60-80 ft. Structure? Live bottom? If you don’t mind me asking. I assumed since the water temp was so high that they’d move out deeper.

If someone can tell me how to attach a pic to the thread I’ll upload some.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

It was structure where we were but there was a ton of pigfish on live bottom right near it

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Shakenbake,

Check your private messages for how I post pictures.
shakenbake

Post by shakenbake »

Thank you, sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shakenbake

Post by shakenbake »

Thanks to the guidance I was able to add some pics from the day. Big red grouper had someone else’s hook in its mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a great day until you had to clean all those fish.