Redfish in the creeks in the summer

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Kris
Site Sponsor

Redfish in the creeks in the summer

Post by Kris »

Take 3.....

I've caught Redfish way back in the creeks all year long down in Cedar Key...

My buddy says that he only fishes the creeks up in this area in the winter months...

Is it worth prowling around back in the creeks for Reds in the middle of the summer in this area?
timkelj

Post by timkelj »

I fish for red year around in Cedar Key. Yes you fish in back waters. But be sure to find deep water near. You can fish the same area all year long. Tim
Life is short so live it to the fullest!!!!!
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Timkelj.....where you at in the Ocala area I am their as well
Kris
Site Sponsor

Post by Kris »

Yes, Cedar Key has me spoiled on Red Fish... Got a few honey holes that Rarely let me down...

But I'm new to fishing in the Tallahassee area...

My first summer creek excursion (around 3 weeks ago) was a bust (one catfish and a few pins)... thank goodness for the flats where I went in the afternoon and had some fun with the Spanish and trout.

I went out of St. Marks and I think I was in the big pass area...

anyways, I guess I'll just keep prowlin around till I find some honey up this away!
zman
Site Sponsor

Post by zman »

I wish we had some of those reds this far south. We were up in Stuart last week and the snook were all over the place but I have yet to hook into one of those monster reds. You guys are lucky up there! Hopefully someday soon we'll be up there and schedule a trip with a guide.

Tight lines
http://www.hotfish.com HotFish Hardcore Fishwear
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Zman......have a freind that lives in Pompano we have bin down many times..........I have seen all kinds of reds down your way some very huge tarpon as well..........I know if I hooked one of them tarpon I would be pulled from the boat their that big...... I have caught a few small reds but the huges ones are their too.......I love fishing down that way lot of huge fish down their and very close to the shore line........
Kris
Site Sponsor

Post by Kris »

I got to fish over by Stuart (I think) with my soon to be brother in law (Matt) a few months back...

It was in the intercostal and you could see a launch pad from the space center to the south...

Anyways, there's not really a tide there so you can hit the flats virtually anytime... We polled across sandy bottom , approx 2' deep and less, sight fishing...

Spotted a HUGE wake coming straight for us...

Matt yelled about a school of Reds coming at us... I got one cast 5 yards ahead and perfect ... had on a DOA (fake shrimp)

One jig and SLAMMMM!!!! this Red came up out of the water after it!!! It wasn't a school of em, but just one huge MONSTER!!!

Needless to say I worked him for about a minute (or less) and he snapped the line... but I learned a thing or two and will nail him next time!
zman
Site Sponsor

Post by zman »

Blue Dolphin, do you have any ideas of where in Pompano I might be able to find some reds? I had no idea they were down this far because I have never heard of anyone catching them down here. The tarpon are out of control and the snook are all over the place but I have never even seen a red down this way. That would be great to finally land one of those monsters! Thanks for the help.
http://www.hotfish.com HotFish Hardcore Fishwear
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Zman.....I really don't know exactly were we fished but I do know it was inside the inlet.....we fished the canals and grassey shore lines thats all about I can tell you.......if you ever fished any of them canals down their it is like a mase........ I get lost so quick a gps is almost inposiable to use with all the turns and twists you go through.....I would ask some of the tackle shops they could tell you were to start..........
timkelj

Post by timkelj »

:D I live near wild water. about 5 blocks. Tim
Life is short so live it to the fullest!!!!!
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Tim.....I am out on Lake Weir
billy mc daniel

Post by billy mc daniel »

hi
i higly recomend a guide.
his name is tommy thompson,at http://www.flanaturecoastcom
the last time we fished together we caught 28 reds plus 2 5 lb trout wading. we used terro ize lures and 7 ft billystix custom rods, you will never find a nicer more knowledgble guy than tommy. :
give him a shout for a great day.
billy
billystix custom rodslick: